CHAPTER 13: WILDFIRE

Start from the beginning

"That acceleration, it's fantastic, isn't it, Iida?!" The pink haired girl's voice rings out through the stadium, and it makes Kasai laugh. 

She was right, this match turned out to be different. 

"Why are you laughing," Ochaco asks the Todoroki, somewhat offended that she finds Iida's situation amusing. 

"I'm not laughing at him, I'm laughing at the circumstances. Because of Iida's naivety, Hatsume was able to fool him into wearing her equipment. It's just like how that Shinso kid said, the other classes will do anything to pull the rug out from under us heroic kids, and she's doing just that. Pulled it out with no hesitation! We're idiots if we think the other classes are going to play fair, this is a competition after all. Heck, Midoriya almost lost his match a few seconds in. I'm just saying," Kasai informs, keeping her gaze on the fight. 

"Everyone's giving their all, so that means no hesitating. Because in the end, everyone wants that top spot," The pale girl tells her peers, smirking. 

They nod at her words, determined. They're encouraged to give their best. 

Shoto looks at his sister, conflicted, as he remembers their father's words, 'You let your failure of a sister get one up on you! You're different from your older brothers and younger sister! You are my greatest masterpiece!'

Is that why she's always angry? Because she knows that our old man sees her as a failure? Because she's aware of him favoring me? Is that why she's always hostile with me, the boy questions, frowning as he continues gazing at his sister. 

He then remembers her declaration. How it was always him. That it's her turn now. That she's going to show everyone that she's the best. That she's the one to beat. He should have realized sooner, that it wasn't just him, Midoriya, or Bakugou who were aiming for the top. He should have realized that Kasai was right there with them, in the race for first place. Shoto should have known that his sister was tired of being overlooked, tired of being in the shadows. 

Her words of encouragement to the class, those are her words, telling them that she won't hesitate to burn them down if it means winning. A warning, that's what they were. 

Kasai, for who are you willing to win for? For yourself, or for our father?

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

EVENTUALLY, THE FIRST ROUND was nearly finished. Hatsume actually forfeited by purposefully stepping over the line when she finished presenting her support items to the audience. After that, it was the match between Mina and Aoyoma which was over quickly after the girl destroyed the blond's support belt before delivering a strong uppercut punch, knocking him out. Tokoyami and Yaoyorozu's match ended quite quickly as well, the boy won after pushing the ravenette back out of bounds with his Dark Shadow. However, the match between Kirishima and Tetsutetsu was coming to a close.

Kasai watched as the two boys in the arena delivered simultaneous punches, decking each other out at the same time.

"The match up of nearly identical quirks, Tetsutetsu versus Kirishima! It was a full-on-close-quarters-punch-up! But who is the victor?!" Present Mic's voice calls out.

"They're both down! It's a draw!" Midnight informs everyone. "In the case of a draw, after they both come to, the match will be decided after a simpler game, we'll have them arm wrestle for the right to advance!"

"Next match is that match. The match that is bound to be the most upsetting," Tsu states from her seat.

"I feel like I might look away the entire time," Jiro concurs, sounding nervous.