"How do we know this is the right way?" Tony asked.

"I just know."

•••

"Take me back!" I yelled. I had passed out, probably because my kidnapper had drugged me, but now I was fully conscious and seated on the ground, my wrists and ankles bound with duct tape.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," my captor said. My captor was probably male, because his voice was deep and husky.

"Tell me why. Or better yet, tell me who you work for."

"I think you know." My captor took off his black hoodie to reveal a dangerous-looking face.

"So you work for the Macronesian Alliance, huh?" I asked smugly. I was proud of myself that I had gotten it right.

"Seems like the pretty woman is smart too," he smirked and put his face inches away from mine. I glowered and spat in his face.

"I have a name," I growled.

"And what would the pretty one's name be?"

"Shelby." I watched in disgust as he paced across the room.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. I'm Vladimir, a handsome name for a handsome gentleman."

"You're not handsome at all," I told Vladimir.

"Well, I guess we have nothing in common then."

"Why am I here?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"Wouldn't you like to know," he smiled and sat down to watch me.

"Get me out of these damn binds, then," I squirmed around, trying to find an opening so that I could slip my wrists or ankles out of the tape. But I had no such luck.

"Hmm, it's quite amusing to watch you like this," Vladimir smiled at me and I glared back.

"What do you even want with me?! I'm the most irrelevant person ever."

"But you do work for the UEO, don't you?"

"What's it to you, Vladimir?" I sneered when I said his name.

"I need UEO insider information, and you were weak and alone. So I took you."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"And so you think you're going to get answers out of me?!" I laughed loudly.

"Of course. You're young and gorgeous, you've got too much to lose. If you don't give me what I want, then I'll have to kill you." Vladimir pulled out a big shiny knife and admired it.

"I won't be saying anything." Vladimir took the knife and quickly put it under my chin, and he lifted my chin up so that I was staring right at him.

"Kill me. I don't care." I smiled up at him smugly. Then he raised the knife.

•••

"Look!" Tony and Lucas stopped running. They had reached an old shack, and they could hear dialogue on the other side. There was a male voice, and then there was a familiar female voice.

"That's Shelby!" Lucas cried. He ran towards the door but Tony pulled him back.

"We can't go in there yet," Tony said.

"Why not?!"

"Because. We need to sneak up on whoever took her. Let's go try the doorknob."

Tony and Lucas crept up to the door and Lucas jiggled the knob. It wouldn't turn.