Chapter 1

I guess it's more complicated than just saying 'I read minds' and 'Puck can fly.' I just wanted to see your reaction. You should have seen your face!  

Anyway... Puck has wings but he can hide them whenever he wants. I don't know exactly how it works... and I really don't want to know. He also has night and X-ray vision. I guess it's for flying at night? See, we're smart too.  

Uh, mind reading. That's pretty simple. I can anyone's mind I want. And uh, I can also summon water and breathe under it.  

And apparently we 'develop' more skills as we grow. Thanks for the heads up, Dad. 

Right. Back to the point. Uh, I guess we can skip to... We have to start at the beginning? Fine.  

Most stories have a beautiful setting with beautiful people. Ours takes place in our cafeteria. Where the food moves and we sit in the corner. Alone. 

Yup, we're freaks. We weren't always that way. It was an accident. In sixth grade we had an end-of-the-year pool party. I was fooling around with my friends and we decided to see who could hold their breath the longest under water. I didn't know I could breathe under water then. So I played two and while most of my friends came up after 30 seconds, I was under for 6 minutes. They thought I had drowned but when the life guard pulled me out of the water I was fine. I could read their thoughts, though. Most of them went like this: 

Freak.  

Yeah, it was all my fault. But we kind of like it better this way.  

We were sitting alone in the corner again, and I looked up and saw an unfamiliar face. He was staring at me. I stared back at him, "Who's that?" I asked Puck, without taking my eyes off his.  

Puck shoveled a shitload of food into his maw, "Who?" He asked spraying food everywhere.  

"Over there." I pointed, "Sitting next to... Jackie?" I almost choked on my saliva. Jackie was our cousin. On our mother's side, who was human. 

Puck blinked before lifting his eyes to our cousin and the guy next to her, who had really pretty eyes...  

"Him?" Puck asked, pointing to pretty eyes guy. "That's Duncan. He's-" 

"In your science class." I finished. Mind reading is so fun. 

Puck scowled, "Yeah." He hates it when I finish his sentences. Which makes it all the more fun.  

I averted my eyes from Duncan, who was now talking to Jackie. And picked at my food. 

Ew. Nothing better than cold meatballs on a Monday, wouldn't you agree? 

~*~*~*~*~ 

I hate school. It's a waste of time for me. I could simply read the teacher's mind to get all the answer's right on a quiz or test.  

Oh and by the way, William is thinking about cheating off of Gerald who didn't study at all and is freaking out. Just so you know. 

Then Mr.I-have-amazing-eyes waltzed in A.K.A. Duncan. He walked up to Mrs. Tucker and says something to her, then she nodded and pointed to the empty seat. 

Next to me.  

Please don't sit here.  

Charisma... 

I blinked. Did he just think my name? He doesn't even know me.  

She's hotter than her cousin. 

...Insert awkward thought here... 

He sat down next to me, "Hey. I'm Duncan."  

"Charisma." I frowned, "You know my cousin."  

"Yeah, Jackie." But what he was thinking was... 

Beautiful gray eyes... 

I blushed slightly, "Yeah." Wow. I'm stupid. Now he's going to think I'm a psycho bitch for blushing with no damn reason.  

"You know, I don't think she likes you that much." Or your boyfriend.  

Boyfriend? "I don't have a boyfriend." I blurted.  

His eyes widened in surprise, "How did you-"  

"Puck's my twin brother." I giggled at this thoughts. "Not my boyfriend."  

He blushed a deep crimson, "Oh."  

"Eyes up here, Class." Mrs. Tucker smiled nicely. Even though her thoughts were Shut up! You little demons... "We have a new student today! Please welcome Duncan to the class." She pointed to the beauty sitting next to me.  

He gave a slight wave. Now I only have to go threw this three more times today. 

I almost laughed out loud, but I caught myself. I settled for a smile. 

Great smile too... 

I blushed again. Oh my god.