Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:

Start bij het begin

There was a large bed pressed against the wall and across from it a table with enough chairs for them.

Edelgard walked over to the table and took a seat. Byleth released Dimitri's hand and took a seat as well. Claude and Dimitri followed their lead.

Dimitri sat directly across from Edelgard.

"So..." Claude said awkwardly then turned to Edelgard "Why the change of heart?" he asked.

"I... I don't know" Edelgard said, "I was prepared to die today" she added.

Glenn is seething with rage beside Dimitri, "She was prepared to die" Dimitri he said "Come on, put her out of her misery" he spat.

Dimitri continued ignoring him.

Edelgard furrowed her eyebrows, "I suppose I had a moment of clarity" she said closing her eyes for a moment "I was prepared to do whatever it took to free this continent from Rhea's grasp" Edelgard began "And in doing so I sold my soul to people probably far worse than Rhea herself" she said "But... Perhaps I didn't need to do that" she sighed. "I will not excuse what I have done" Edelgard began "The pain and suffering that I have caused to ensure that my goal is one day achieved" she said "I cannot undo it, but from this day forward I will give you all my strength so that we have the power to strike the Immaculate one down" Edelgard concluded.

Claude nodded his head and sighed, "And what of those who slither in the dark?" he asked.

"They retreated from the Empire once things looked dire" Edelgard said, "I don't think they will try to interfere with us since we will be eliminating Rhea" she said "But once we are through with her they must be hunted down" she said "They cannot be allowed to thrive in Fodlan" she concluded.

They all sat there silent for a moment, "I can't believe you really abdicated the throne" Claude said.

Edelgard chuckled softly, "Out of everything I have done I am shocked that that is what you are surprised about" she said.

How could they talk as if they hadn't been trying to kill one another moments ago? Dimitri didn't understand it.

"So..." Byleth began "What happens now?" she asked.

Claude laughed, "I am glad you asked that my Friend" he said "We need to return to the monastery and plan our next course of action" he added. "I think we should revel in this victory a little before we shift our focus over to Faerghus" Claude said then turned to Dimitri "You have been eerily quiet" he said "What are you thinking?" he asked.

Glenn laughed from beside Dimitri, "He wants to know if you are feeling murderous" he snorted.

Dimitri looked up at Edelgard, "Why... Why would you side with people like that?" he asked "They caused a tragedy that killed your own Mother" he said.

Edelgard shook her head, "No, Anselma's own choices led to her death" she said "That woman was no mother of mine, because of her..." she began but stopped.

Dimitri frowned at her; how could she say such a thing. "What are you talking about?" Dimitri asked sternly.

Edelgard frowned back, "Surely you must know by now, she had part in the Tragedy of Duscar?" she said.

Dimitri froze. So, it was true.

"Her freedom... It had a price, and do you know who had to pay for it?" Edelgard said sternly "Me... and my siblings" she whispered.

Claude frowned, "Those experiments Lysithea mentioned" he said and looked to Edelgard "Did you..." he said but trailed off.

Edelgard nodded her head, "Yes" she said "Did Lysithea tell you the reasoning for the experiments?" she asked.