🌸 Chapter 1: Who is that Steve?

Summary: Steve Saga AU. What if Memory Steve was brought back to life instead of Demon Steve during the reign of Illusion Steve? Encountering old enemies and joining forces with the newest member of his family, Memory will realize that he can't rebuild his simple life as a henchman and continue escaping the consequences of his crimes. With his powers and loyalty put to the test, he must finally decide what family and morality mean to him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Content warnings: I'm rating this fanfic Mature because it contains themes and stuff that may be upsetting, such as:

Language
Fantasy violence
Direct depictions, analogies, and metaphors of self-destructive behavior
Direct depictions and analogies of abusive and toxic relationships
Discussion of mental health (anxiety, trauma, depression)

Nothing graphic or severe! I hope I did my best to portray these things respectfully and without making it too disturbing. I just thought giving a heads up would be a good idea ^^

Basically, I say this fanfic has lots of angst (and fluff) for a reason.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome to my Steve Saga Minecraft fanfiction! This fanfiction is based on the story, world, and characters created by FavreMySabre on YouTube. The fanfiction is based on what we know about Illusion/Reality, Memory, and the rest of the Galaxy Family. So I'll add a lot of callbacks to their episodes. But keep in mind some parts of this book will contradict the canon, since it is an AU!

And before we begin, I want to iterate that this is a gen fanfiction focused on platonic and familial love. There is absolutely no romance here.

So I want to ask my readers a big favor: please do not comment about shipping or romance in this story. Please understand that I don't want this fanfic to be associated with any romantic ships, and comments about shipping may make me uncomfortable. Thank you so so much for understanding!

This author's note is getting long, lol. Let's just head into the story now!

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remorseful Recollections of the Forgotten Family:
Act 1: START

>>>>>>>>>>>>

With a silent huff, Memory Steve climbed to the top of the Netherrack hill, wincing every time he took a step on his bruised leg. The hilltop intersected with stalagmites of glowstone. Memory Steve collapsed onto the glowstone wall before sitting down. The glowstone would shield and hide him from that Demon Steve and provide a light source for now.

Memory Steve inspected the bruise on his leg. A large purple mark on his copper brown skin. It hurt like needles and mocking burns, but fortunately not a serious injury. After double checking the bruise, he finally allowed himself to dry the sweat off his face with a black cloth before chugging a water bottle. Despite being used to the heat from his old home — the Memory Dimension — he could not stand the scorching air of the Spiritless World, as well as its other Nether-like characteristics.

He coughed after gulped down water a bit too ferally. Feeling refreshed, he placed the cloth and water bottle back into his inventory. Then he took out his iconic mask that he no longer wore because of the unbearable heat. He traced a finger around the mask's spiral print. Memory Steve had been withering away in the Spiritless World ever since Sabre and Rainbow Steve destroyed him generations ago. The white print of his mask turned yellow decades ago, though the overall mask was still sturdy from lack of use. Being an ageless Steve (perks of his family), his endurance and physical appearance hadn't deteriorated either. He could not say the same thing about his current clothes though. Worn out shoes, dirty dress pants and a tattered dress shirt — his current clothes were a shell of the black suit he used to wear. Not to mention the ashy smell (not like Memory Steve would notice anyways after generations of smelling like the Nether). And his dark brown hair, which was filthy and horribly cut at his neckline. As someone who spent many years taking pride in his appearance, it shamed Memory to admit that he nearly looked as ragged and feral as the Demon Steves that populated this hellscape.