“We collaborated with Myron’s pack” Rett answered and I smiled. We always collaborate with FireLight pack wolves during celebrations like this or when either one of the pack is attacked.

“That’s good” I said pulling my jeans on, while Rett wore his shoes. “You are done” I pointed out with a sigh.

“I will see you downstairs” Rett muttered and then walked downstairs, without even glancing at me.

I stared at his back in bewilderment. Something was definitely wrong! But what was wrong? I have to ask him or even better find out from Terence. I was about to connect with Terence through the link when all of a sudden, I paled. The realization that I couldn’t mindlink with my own pack members hurt me too much.

Compressing my lips, I sat on the bed and ran a hand through my hair. I wanted my wolf back but she was not responding to me. I closed my eyes and sure enough, I felt her presence. Nevertheless, it felt like every passing day she was getting further away from me.

I knew something was wrong with me and that is why my wolf wasn’t responding to me. However, I didn’t know what that something is.

“Your wolf is not with you and hence strange things are happening to you. But you are going to get your wolf back soon”  I recalled Rett saying so to me yesterday. He had asked me to trust him and trust him, I did, with my life. He was confident that I am going to shift, then so should I be.

My eyes started stinging with tears and I gently rubbed my eyes with my knuckles. I quickly pulled down my pullover and went to apply light make-up on my face. I didn’t want others seeing dark circles that I have been having around my eyes.

It was almost three-thirty in the afternoon, when we started our journey. Terence and January had already left, along with Sveta and Cam, before us. However, Keith and Ben were in a SUV behind us, along with few fighters, who were coming as security.

I turned my head to look at Rett. His face was expressionless, his jaws firm and his pacific blue eyes were cold and distant. He looked furious. At whom and for what?

“Rett” I called in a soft tone and he looked at me for a second, before focusing his vision back to the endless stretch of road. “What’s happened?”

“Nothing”

“Of course it’s something” I burst out in anger. I became angrier, when the outburst too didn’t earn any reaction from Rett. Why is he so distant? He was fine until day before yesterday... Until he had gone for some meeting and when he returned from there… he had been distressingly quiet.

“Please tell me” I almost begged.

Rett closed his eyes, for a second before heaving a sigh and answering, “I am just worried about my work Templar” he mumbled.

“What’s happened?” I demanded, satisfied that he was sharing it with me.

“I agreed to a very dangerous deal” he said through gritted teeth and I blinked.

“Dangerous?”

“If it doesn’t go as planned, it might cause someone’s death” he added in a whisper and I gasped. Now I understood why he was so tensed! But I was curious, what kind of a deal is that?

“Then why did you agree?” I queried, perplexed.

“I had no other option.”

“You are talking in riddles… you know that right?” I questioned and Rett nodded softly. “Tell me exactly, what the deal is?” I had to know what bothered him so much.