Chapter 36

Chapter 36 is up! And it is dedicated to @shravs93:D

****

“When it was dark, you always carried the sun in your hand for me.” 
― Seán O'Casey
, Three More Plays: The Silver Tassie, Purple Dust, Red Roses For Me

TEMPLAR P.O.V

The Range Rover stopped unexpectedly waking me from my nap. Since I couldn’t sleep last night and the one before that, I had slept throughout the journey. Although, I do remember walking around the airport like a headless chicken!

Blinking repeatedly, I looked at my surroundings. We were in what appeared to be an endless stretch of road with picture perfect dunes on either side.

“Where are we?” I queried sleepily.

“We have reached the outskirts of Ashur” Rett replied.

“Why did we stop then?” I queried.

“I want to take a picture” I heard Jan squealing. Poking my head out of the window, I saw her standing next to the car and focusing her camera ahead.

It was only when I saw a long black mamba snake slithering, I grasped why the cars had stopped. “Dear Goddess” I whispered when I saw the venomous snake that moved towards the dunes with great agility.

Our kind is not safe from snake’s venom unless we are given the proper treatment. And black mambas are known to give a ‘kiss of death’.

“Perfect” Jan grinned after she clicked the picture. “Such a beauty” she muttered watching the snake disappear in between the dunes.

Sitting back, I rested my head on Rett’s shoulders.

 I have heard that snake crossing the road when you are going somewhere brings good luck… I desperately want it to be true!

Not just for me and Rett… for Adio and his family too. There has been a lot of tension between the mystics since the meeting two days ago and I totally understood why. The chief of their tribe was risking his own life.

Just like we werewolves depend on an Alpha to provide safety and security, the mystics depend on their tribe leader. When compared like that, the mystics and werewolves seem same but in no way we are same.

They are not shape-shifters like us and we do not deal with spirits like they do. That’s the main element of their kind… literally telling the evil spirits to go to hell.

 Twenty minutes later, the vehicle stopped in front of a large gate with fortress walls on either side.

“We have reached” Tarik, who was sitting in the front seat, told us and I took a deep breath. “Stay here” Tarik warned when I was about to open the door. “We do not want the guards seeing you guys.” Sighing, I did as told.

“What is going on?”

“Baba is asking permission with the gatekeepers. My uncle thinks of himself as a king” Tarik mused mockingly.

“Will they let you guys go in?”

“Us… they have to. You… they will not” Tarik said and I pursed my lips.

After another ten minutes, Tarik brought the engine back to life.

The huge iron gates which were locked from the other side, earlier, now got opened and as the vehicle entered inside, I looked at my surroundings. There were five more bald guys standing guard and watching us.