The End of Everything

Depuis le début

"Wait a minute, I thought we finished all the books we had," I asked her and she nodded.

"Rick is dropping off some more and we're going to read those," She said.

"Can I sleep until he comes then?" I asked her tiredly and she nodded. I laid back on the bed but she spoke before I could get comfortable.

"Elena's coming over for lunch so make sure you're presentable," I let out a loud groan and rolled over on the bed. I could hear Caroline's faint chuckle from the other room.

"Thal, can I tell you something?" he asked. I was frozen in place, not able to move but he could sense my yes and he kept talking. "I know it may just be the sire bond, and it may be fake, but I always feel this pull when I'm around you." He pulled off to the side of the road and turned to me so that he was facing me fully. "I can't stand to see you hurt, and it seems like that's all that happens when I'm around you," he paused almost as if finding it hard to continue. "But I'm selfish too," he paused again this time longer. "I can't stay away from you, and it seems as if some outside power is not letting us stay apart anymore." he searched my eyes but I turned away from him. "Look at what happened when you tried to leave, no one told me you would be here, yet here we are" he kept trying to catch my eyes but I kept avoiding him. "Thal, please look at me," he said. I finally looked into his eyes, they were full of earnest and I couldn't believe this was happening. "I want to get back to where we were, before all of this happened, please, just let me do that, let me try to fix this," he said. "Let me remember,"

"You shouldn't have to, you shouldn't have to fix anything," I said, my voice was barely above a whisper, I was weak, and the only other person I'd shown this side of me to before was Nic. Damon placed his hands on my shoulders and I realized that they were shaking.

"I'm sick of chasing after my little brother's girl," he leaned closer to me and rested his forehead on mine. "Sick of loving someone who will never love me back, at least not truly. I want someone to love me, I need someone who knew the human me, the part of me that was good," He was speaking quietly and the earnestness in his voice caused my heart to break.

"But I don't want you to love me because of our history, because I am not the same I was then, and I won't ever be." I whispered. My eyes were locked with Damon's clear blue ones. "And I don't want you to be expecting her to come out, because I can't be her." I couldn't help turning my head down to look at the armrest in between us. "I don't want to disappoint you,"

"Then don't let me remember just yet. Let me fall for you again, and then say it, I can wait," Damon hooked his thumb under my chin and brought my gaze gently back to his. "You won't disappoint me," He leaned closer to me, closing his eyes, and our lips connected. Our kiss brought me to a place I hadn't been in over a century. I could almost smell the vineyards, and hear the clumsy sound of wagons passing by. Tears began to flow down my face, tears of remembrance, love and loss. This could not be real, he wasn't kissing me, was dreaming. He pulled away all too soon and despite my not needing to breathe, my cheeks were pink and my breath was quick. "I am going to love you, whether you want me to our not," he said, and without another word he faced forward and turned back onto the road. The movement was so subtle that it made me question if I imagined the whole thing. One quick worried glance from Damon though told me otherwise.

Damon Salvatore just said he loves me.

I sat up quickly, and my breathing was fast. I sniffed and brought my hands up to my cheeks, wiping away the tears I knew were there. I took a deep shaking breath, brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I stared straight forward as I remembered my dream and more tears came down my cheeks. Caroline walked in suddenly and I quickly tried to wipe away my tears before she saw but it was too late. She sighed sadly and came up to me. She sat on the bed next to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.