chapter one

one
"first day"

—

"EVELYNN, IF YOU DON'T GET up now, you're gonna be late for your first day!"

Evelynn groaned loudly as she threw the comfortable pillow she was just using to soundly sleep, over her head. Mostly to shield her ocean blue eyes from the bright sunlight that was now flooding her bedroom due to her older sister sliding the dark curtains wide open. Her brunette strands of hair seemingly stuck to the pillow as she did so, making her already birds nest hair even worse.

"Lizzy, leave me alone!"

I present you; Evelynn Kennedy. The twenty four year old paramedic for the past two years, however there was a new change, she was now a qualified firefighter. And there was her older sister, Elizabeth Kennedy, proudly standing over her as she awoke the sleeping beauty.

The young brunette had dreamed of becoming a firefighter since she was a kid, just like every other nine year old, but she was much more determined. She had more to prove being a woman in the field, along with the fact she was smaller too. She had to fight her way through all the tests and physicals, it was hard, but she got through it. But the most influential thing for choosing this job?

Her father.

Evelynn's father died when she was sixteen, in a huge factory fire which claimed three firefighters lives that day. It seemed like ever since that day, something inside of her mother died alongside her father. She wasn't the same afterwards, so it often left Lynn and Lizzy to fend for themselves. It wasn't a terrible time, it just made the sisters grow more closely, but they missed their mother.

The two moved out as soon as Lizzy turned eighteen, done with dealing with the drama they faced with their absent mother, and Lynn was grateful her sister didn't just leave her behind.

They moved out of Long Beach county and headed to Lancaster, where Lynn was assigned in arson for a year, followed by being a paramedic for two, and then she finally took her fire academy class. Lizzy was aiming to be an shimmering actress. She got hired for a short movie that was actually decently good when they went to see the reveal in theaters, but had been looking for work ever since it ended two years back.

"Lynn, do you really wanna be late for your first day?"

Lynn let out another round of groans, mostly because she didn't want to deal with the anxiety growing in her stomach due to meeting all her new coworkers today. It would be her first time at a fire station as an actual firefighter, not just a qualified paramedic, and she was nervous, to say the least.

"What if they don't like me?" Lynn questioned, raising the pillow to show just above her eyes so she could make contact with Lizzy's.

"I'm sure once they get past that hardass exterior of yours, they'll love you, sis," Lizzy smiled nicely towards her troubled sister, but that was short lasted as she pulled the soft blankets off Lynn's body, exposing her skin to the coldness of the air.