Chapter 6

"Okay, so I have not slept in... 2 days, and I may be hallucinating, because I think I just heard Moira's biceps mocking me," Will said drowsily.

"No, that's possible. My biceps mock a lot of people," Moira said.

"William. Go sleep," Alura looked at him, making him shake his head.

"I'll get coffee," Will said.

Martin Stein

Stein hurried through the doors to Jitters, finding his family and – conveniently – Jax, Lena chattering in excitement with Lily about something. "You're late, as usual," Clarissa said dryly as he joined them.

"Sorry, had to change," Stein kissed her cheek.

"Don't you have a time machine?" Lily tilted her head.

"Barry is a speedster, and is always late," Cisco said.

"That is a shared trait," Mia nodded. "Nora is late to everything."

"Yes, very droll," Stein said dryly, nodding to Lena as she smirked. "Ms. Luthor."

"Ahem," Lena raised an eyebrow.

"Lena," Stein corrected. "Jefferson, I need to talk to you. Would you excuse us for a minute?"

Jax blinked, but Lena nodded and went back to talking with Lily, Clarissa getting drawn into their discussion. "Where have you been, man?" Jax asked as they headed to the back of the venue.

"Cooking," Stein answered.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure this event's catered."

"Not food," Stein shook his head, stopping underneath the staircase. "This."

Jax blinked when he saw the yellow vial Stein pulled out of his pocket. "Wait, I thought that the cure S.T.A.R. Labs made for us was a blue one, not – "

"It is," Stein nodded. "This isn't the cure. This is a molecular resequencing smart virus with non-normative reciprocal action."

Jax frowned. "Do you just make up scientific words to make yourself sound smarter?"

"I wonder sometimes," James nodded, making Winn protest.

"The contents of this vial will rewrite your DNA and give you superpowers," Stein explained.

"Are you serious?" Jax's eyes widened. "What kind of powers?"

"Well, I extrapolated it from the genetic abilities of a Microhexura Montivaga," Stein answered. "The spruce-fir moss spider."

Jax blinked, then frowned. "You're trying to turn me into Spider-Man?"

"Well, no," Stein shook his head. "I mean, you won't be super strong and able to lift ten times your body weight, nor will you be able to shoot webs from a subdermal gland in your wrist flexor muscle."

"But I'll have spidey-sense?"

"No, I'm afraid not."

Jax narrowed his eyes. "So what powers will I have?"

"You'll be able to stick to things. Incredible adhesion, like glue. You'll just be stuck right on something, no sliding off."

"Mmm," Jax nodded sarcastically. "The spectacular Sticky-Man."

"Well, I'm sure Cisco could fashion you a more exciting sobriquet," Stein shrugged. "The important thing is, you can still have what you want. You told me, when we began our latest adventures, that all you wanted was superpowers and be able to be on the Waverider."