14

A/N: It's finally here!! Sorry it took so long and thank you all so much for being so patient! In honor of Peter's birthday yesterday (and the fact that I literally can't wait anymore) here it is!
~~~

May's always said there's nothing like a hot shower and a good night's sleep to make you feel better. Unfortunately, Peter's only managed one of those things, but there must be some truth to his aunt's words: he does feel a little better after showering, the pain in his chest becoming a dull, steady ache for the girl he loves.

The girl he'll never see again.

He collapses onto the bed with a deep sigh. Surrendering to his desire to see her face again, he closes his eyes. There she is. His Y/N.

He can't pinpoint the exact moment he fell in love. He can't even pinpoint the moment her spell over him had broken and slowly begun to be replaced by something new, something real. All he knows is that it happened. He remembers the first few days vaguely, as if he were coming in and out of a dream, then, gradually, everything comes into focus. Her face, her smile, her laugh. The little things she tries to keep hidden underneath that tough exterior. He understands her fears. He's had them too: fears of being unwanted, of being too vulnerable, fears that good things just weren't in the cards for the boy who'd watched his uncle die and did nothing.

Some days, he feels like he doesn't deserve what he has. The life he has. All the people he's ever failed to save, everyone he's ever put in harm's way: don't they deserve it more than he does?

He's made so many mistakes, and yet people still put their faith in him. His family, his friends, the entire city of New York. They give him second chance after second chance, they forgive him before he forgives himself, and he's never understood why.

Y/N doesn't have anyone in her life who believes in her like that. But he knows she needs it, and Peter can't help but feel like that someone is supposed to be him.

"Mr. Parker," F.R.I.D.A.Y. chimes in, interrupting his thoughts. "Mr. Stark has requested to see you in the conference room."

"Why? What could he possibly need me for?"

"He didn't say. He only told me it was urgent."

Peter sits up, grumbling. Now he can't even think about her without Tony interrupting? He throws on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt and shoves his hands in his pockets, subconsciously feeling for something. Something to remember her by, some sort of keepsake from their time together. He wants to keep a tiny part of her with him, balled up in his fist as Tony orders him to pretend none of this ever happened.

"Oh, and Mr. Parker?"

"Yeah, Friday?"

"Mr. Stark suggests you enter through the southern door, okay?"

"Whatever," Peter grumbles. Before he leaves the room, he makes himself a promise. He won't forget, keepsake or no keepsake. As long as he's alive, whether she knows it or not, someone in this world loves her.

It's the best he can do for her now.