the one with the great lord

“You can use a spear
as a stick. But that
will not change it's
nature. She's a weapon
and she always will be.”

THE MORE I READ my Potions book, the more confusing it became. It felt like it was by someone who knew who Professor Snape was, because the book had notes unrelated to the subject in it, as if whoever's book it was used to to converse. There were little notes about people like Rodolphus Lestrange ir Narcissa Malfoy. Of course there was educational stuff, but the conversations put me off a little.

Around the notes of Fire protection Potion, the person had written, 'Lucius is so dumb he doesn't even realize Cissy loves him!' and another handwriting had written back, 'Well, Lu depends on Sev for everything, he's a bit dumb really.'

Maybe this book belonged to Bellatrix. Or maybe someone I don't know. The idea though, that it belongs to either one of my parents seemed so bizarre and coincidental, that I didn't want to think of it. In another page, there were spells written with their meanings. I didn't know if these spells were made by the owner or they already existed, but none of them felt harmful. For instance, the owner had a spell written, Desideratum Infinatum, who's meaning was, 'reveals desires.' Now that can't be bad, right.

But that wasn't the only thing bothering me. Over the next few days, I managed to steer clear of Harry and Ron who'd burst into words of indignation at my mere sight. Ron acted rough with almost anyone who crossed his eyes and was even reduced to bullying younger kids, making me riot against him, only for Harry to defend him.

"Harry," I snapped on the day before the Quidditch match. "If me being with Malfoy bothers you, then I can't help you very much."

"No, Skylar. Even I dated Cho. You dating doesn't bother me. It's who you date," he said, trying offhandedly to calm Ron from scaring away Demelza.

"Really?" I pushed my hair back. "Was it not Cho who defended her friend Marietta when she ratted us out? And then insulted Hermione for using that Sneak trick? Was it not Cho who always wanted to talk about Cedric even though they're not together anymore?"

"But that's nothing-"

"It's a lot. Draco might be many things Harry, but he's not disloyal or dishonest. He even started acting civil with you, what's your problem with him?"

Ron had started saying how he would quit the team after the match tomorrow.

"Oh, quit it Ron," I said frustratedly. "Get a grip on yourself for fuck's sake."

I left, but clearly Ron hadn't gotten a grip on himself because I noticed all through dinner Harry trying to boost his confidence. He even tried getting mad at him at the common room but nothing worked on Ron.

"Tomorrow," I whispered. "Pretend to give him felix. It'll work wonders. And," I looked at him pointedly. "Draco's not playing tomorrow. If you're hoping to defeat him particularly, you're fresh out of luck."

-

The next day, it happened. Ron went on the Quidditch pitch with the ego of a Lion ready to win as I took my leave and went to the Room of Requirements.

Draco was seated solemnly on a wooden chair in front of the cabinet. He looked at me when I came in. He had been crying.

"I don't want to bring them here," he said, his voice shaking a bit.

"But you have to," I said quietly. "You have to bring them here."

"They'll destroy the school."