o.

"I'M SORRY, SIR, BUT, your wife wasn't able to make it. our deepest apologies, mr. jaeg-" the attending doctor was cut off her sentence.

"what the fuck! try attending to her more. s-she can't die. sh-she's a strong woman. just do your job properly and do everything you can!" eren exclaimed in pure rage as he was told about what happened to his wife. this is a bluff, right? she can't be dead. he tried to convince himself over and over, a tinge of hope still lingering in his chest, frustratingly running his fingers through his chocolate brown hair which was tied into a man bun.

"please do know sir, we did everything we could to save her. this was due to her having multiple complications during her months of pregnancy," dr. hotchkiss explained, her eyes filled with sadness and disappointment as she felt like she wasn't able to fulfil her duties as an ob-gyn. "our sincerest apologies, mr. jaeger," she apologised one more time before leaving eren to drown in his sea of thoughts as he slowly sat down on the bench situated in the white, busy hallways.

he didn't know what to feel. a few hours ago when they went to the hospital, since his wife's water broke, eren was extremely elated yet worried at the same time. he was finally able to see his daughter and hold her in his arms however, he figured out now as to why the ratio of happiness to worry, he felt the night prior, was far unbalanced. this was bound to happen.

he felt his heart shatter into pieces as memories of him and the mother of his newborn child flashed in his mind. reminiscing all those times they spent with each other, to the day she said 'yes, i do' on their wedding day, to the night they made love, to celebrating that he was going to be a father and having a family of his own. he wanted to make more memories of her but, now with their daughter in the picture. his dreams of finally being able to go home at night being engulfed in a hug by his lover and daughter just seemed to fade away ever so quickly. his eyes were now brimming with tears as he stared at the cold surface of the hospital floor. resting his elbows on his knees in a crouched position, he tried to process everything that had just happened.

walking up to the room where his wife was, he stared at her resting face through the small glass on the door. he didn't want to let go but, he had no choice to.

with tears still staining his face, he smiled painfully before making his way to the nursery to see his daughter for the first time.

i love you mikasa. rest well.

°°°