Chapter 1:

Chapter 1:

The Darkness sits and waits, while I'm suffocated by their laughs and chants.

          I stared at the words, smelling the air; all the smells taunting and trying to lure me in. Someone leaned forward and peeked over my shoulder. Honey, the smell tickled my nose, and angered my stomach. I can already taste the blood. I licked my lips. No, I-

     "Watcha writin'?" He asked, with a heavy British accent. I turned my head, inches from his neck, and closed my notebook with a silent bang.

     "Nothing." I said quickly, and turned my head pretending there was something more interesting than what he had to say. I saw his hand reach over my shoulder, and I grabbed it quickly. "Don't."

     He withdrew his arm. "Whatever, im not that interested anyway. Bloody hell."

     "Sorry," I mumbled,"personal."

     "Its okay," He squeezed my shoulder,"I'm Dustin."

     "I'm-"

     "Duncan?" Asked an old women, with blue eyes, and a messy, gray hairdo. She was sitting in her chair, staring me down.

     "Yes?" I asked, and I felt every ones gaze shift to me, the new kid, trying to figure me out.

     "Introduce yourself, please." She said, motioning me to stand up. I did, just like the obedient person I am, even tho I just wanted to leave.

     "I'm Duncan." I said, with a small wave. I meet the teachers blue eyes, and hers mine.

     "Thank you. I'm Mrs. H, now please take your seat." I did, and she began to lecture us on the 7 parts of speech, so I tuned her out. I commanded myself to take a deep breath, and I did.

     It had the opposite affect, the smells attacked my nostrols; Honey-Dustin, Roses-Most of the girls, Ham/Chicken-most of the guys, and apples-a black haired girl sitting in the back of the room.

     ****

     I sat down on my bed with a sigh. I did it. I actually made it though a day of school, filled with them. I got up, and walked to where I put my notebook on my desk.

     I ran my finger over the green cover. Green...its so innocent. No one cares what green does, its a perfect wall to hid behind. Yeah, I know. Im talking to a cover, but I'm fine with it.

     I opened it, and stared at the word, Darkness.That's what I am, actually I mean Dark. That's whats in my soul...if I had one. No good, evil, whatever you wanna call it. I am a-

     I looked up, and saw Kelso standing next to me, looking into my notebook. I shut it, and he pulled off my hat, that he always wears, and I looked at his long ears. They're 4 inches long. The sun lit the brown fuzz on his head. I gazed into his blue eyes, before he disappeared.

     I sighed. "Family" time. Not like we are a family. Dad left after I was born because he was dark, Mom left as soon as I could walk to run along with her group. My sister left to live with her boyfriend, and dumped me with my brother. My brother left me "outta love", and dumped me on his buddy Kelso. Kelso great in-all but he isn't part of my family.

     I heard some yells, and then it was quiet. Lucy and Max must have finally left. Lucy's my aunt, and Max's my uncle. Not like their anymore of a family to me. Yeah, they're hear a lot, but they always are yelling at eachother.

     I closed my eyes, and pulled the image of downstairs into my mind, and in a split second I disappeared. I opened my eyes, and saw Kelso leaning against the fridge. I never keep my eyes open when I Traveling, because the colors, and the shapes changing...it hurts my head.