the one with the spy

“Spring holds death
in it's arms and covers
it in a blanket of life.”

DRACO AND I ran the entire way to Dumbledore's office, having already being half an hour late. We were both giggling, practically intoxicated with whatever it is we were feeling, when we arrived.

"How do I look," I said, quickly brushing through my hair, still wet from the bath before.

"Brilliant," he laughed. "Acid Pops!"

The door opened to reveal Harry and Dumbledore already conversing about something else. Draco stood up straight, wiping every shred of emotion he can possibly have from his face.

"Good evening Professor," he said. Harry's head turned towards me.

"What's he doing here?" Harry asked.

"Outrageous!" screamed Phineas from the portrait. "In my days students didn't question their teachers!"

"Thank you, Phineas," I said, bowing quite ungraciously at the portrait. He looked pleased.

"Ah," Dumbledore's surprise was a little delayed. "You're here finally."

"We're sorry for being late, you honor- I mean, Professor Dumbledore," I blushed furiously. "Theodore Nott delayed in giving us the message, sir."

"Yes, Mr Nott was always, how do I put it, not been very obedient to rules," Dumbledore said, looking impressed. "Very callous to discipline."

"I might have noticed that, Professor," I said. Draco was still standing stiffly next to me observing Harry, who was looking at the very oversized shirt I was wearing.

"As for why I've called you forth here, tonight, all three of you," Dumbledore said, "Is because there are ways in which all your lives are connected."

"God damn it," I muttered. "Is there another Prophecy?"

Dumbledore laughed lightly. "I'm afraid not, Ms Firegold. But-"

"How can my life be connected to Malfoy's!" Dumbledore looked at Harry, who was now looking at Dumbledore. "Did Professor McGonagall tell you what I told her after Katie got hurt? About Malfoy?"

Draco stiffened more, next to me, if that was even possible. His right hand tugged the sleeves of his left, attempting to cover the Dark Mark further.

"She told me of your suspicions," Dumbledore said. "That Draco Malfoy is now a Death Eater."

Draco almost winced when Dumbledore said it. Dumbledore, having noticed Draco's discomfort, unexpectedly came next to us, and put an arm around Draco who stiffened again.

"As you're suspecting Harry," Dumbledore said, firmly gripping Draco. "Draco Malfoy indeed is a Death Eater. However," he quickly added when Harry lurched forward. "He is not with them."

"What do you mean he's not with them?" Harry asked. "He lives in a family of Death Eater!"

"Harry," I warned.

"You can defend him all you can, Skylar," Harry said exasperatedly. "But that doesn't give me one shred of evidence that he's not one of them! He is one of them."

"Harry," Dumbledore said quietly, loosening his grip on Draco. "I do not know how much you know, about your cousin here, but I can assure you, and you have my word-" he gave his word, "- that she knows almost every little detail about whatever I show you in the pensieve. You see, Mr Malfoy has a deal with us. He has pledged his loyalty in an Unbreakable Vow-"