Fortynine - Fair share of pricks

"Fuck, I'm really nervous." Louis chuckled anxiously as he let his hands fall from the steering wheel to rub his sweaty palms on the thighs of his light blue jeans.

Harry smiled softly over at him from where he was sat in the passenger seat before interlacing their hands. "It'll be alright Lou, they'll love you, don't worry so much." Harry soothed as he let Louis' thumb skim over his lightly bruised knuckles, tracing the intricate ink that was now painted blue.

Harry hated the sight of them, hated the memory of it all even days after everything had happened. School had been slowly getting better day by day, the incessant stares had started to fade away, people had started to talk about new rumours and gossip harshly about other poor unfortunate souls, but Wednesday had been a tough day for them both. It had started with a loud lad in their year thinking he could mouth off to Louis just before the older lad could make it to the lunch room to meet the rest of their mates at their regular table, a younger boy on the football team had joined in on the taunting and quickly a crowd had begun to form around the two boys and Louis. Louis had tried his best to ignore and dissolve the situation but it had only seemed to draw more attention so by the time Harry had made it to him, Niall in tow, there were four or so lads shoving Louis about and as angry as the older boy had looked he didn't make a move to fight back. The sight broke Harry's heart and only fuelled his rage, he was beside Louis in an instant, shoving the leader of the taunting against the row of lockers behind them causing the entire hallway to stand still, the lad didn't give up even when the rest of his so called mates had, he only came to a sudden stop when Harry's fist had thunderously connected with the metal right next to the side of his head. Harry wasn't a violent person, never had been, but he was just so done, so fucking done with being pushed around by idiots who didn't deserve the right to dictate his life. Even though Wednesday hadn't been one of his better days, he couldn't bring himself to regret it, hardly anyone had spoken about him or Louis since, there were only ever snide remarks in passing that Harry could never hear.

"Just been so on edge this week." Louis sighed tiredly as he gazed out of the window behind Harry's head at the bright red front door they were parked outside of, letting the younger boy read his lips as he did, "Schools been shit and the one place I have to escape it all is just as bad. Footballs my everything Haz, I've worked so hard to make captain but it all feels so pointless. I mean, we're not even out yet but some of the lads on the team fucking hate me for a rumour that no one can even confirm or deny." He huffed, letting his eyes slip close as he took a needed breath before continuing, "Most of the team haven't said anything, have continued on like usual and that's fine, great even, but the rest of them don't listen to me, won't even pass the ball during training, think they have the right to walk all over me now because someones told 'em I kissed a lad." The older boy slumped further back in his seat and he couldn't stop himself from feeling a little guilty for just throwing it all on Harry now, especially before this big dinner.

"Lou, why didn't you say anything earlier?" Harry questioned, his voice laced with concern, the grip he held on the older boys hand tightening ever so slightly to show he only wanted to comfort him.

"I know you've had your fair share of pricks and I didn't want to add more to your plate. It's not a big deal Haz, I can cope with it." Louis replied, sending the curly haired lad a small but sweet smile.

"That's the thing, you shouldn't have to cope with it Lou." Harry sighed as he shook his head softly before taking a deep breath, "I'm here for you, I don't care what I've got going on, you come first now, I'll always be here."

Louis nodded slowly at him before letting a small chuckle slip from his lips as he rested his head back on the edge of his seat to stare over at the beautiful boy sat beside him, "I know. I'm always here too H, you mean a lot to me, you know?"