Tied Together With A Smile

Hold on, baby, you're losing it.

The water's high, you're jumping into it.

And letting go, and no one knows.

That you cry, but you don't tell anyone.

That you might not be the golden one.

And you're tied together with a smile.

But you're coming undone.

--------------------

Pope was lounging in his living room, engrossed in a movie. The volume is up all the way. He still couldn't hear it. The screams coming from the Maybank household were at least twenty decibels louder. No doubt JJ would be around soon. He leaves only after his father. He often attempts to intervene in his parents' disputes, but unfortunately, he typically ends up bearing the consequences of their disagreements. He would consistently assure his mother that he was alright, but in reality, he would confide in Pope. Some days he'll cry, but that's rare. 

Although he doesn't often reveal it to Pope, he has displayed his vulnerable side previously. Yvonne was in bed, though surely she won't be asleep. No one could sleep through that. The commotion had ceased, with occasional door slams, and JJ's father had left once more. JJ sought refuge by knocking on the Heywards' front door, just as usual. Pope opens it to see his broken, bruised friend depending on the door frame. He looks bad. Worse than usual.

"Damn, dude, you're bleeding. Usually, it's just bruises and black eyes," Pope approached his friend and leaned in for a closer look. He was pushed off by JJ and landed on the couch in a slumped position.
"My dad threw a dining room chair at me," he responded. "Is your mom upstairs?" Pope hesitated for a moment, unsure if he had heard JJ correctly. After a brief pause, he confirmed that he had indeed heard correctly.

"Yeah, she's trying to sleep," he replied, snapping back to reality, "This is bad." JJ nodded in agreement, which surprised his friend. 
"You're telling me, and it stings like shit." Pope attempted to examine JJ's wounds without getting too close. He was aware that JJ didn't appreciate him constantly discussing the topic. It's a difficult situation to witness... Seeing his best friend experience this and being unable to offer solace without receiving a hostile response.
"I'll go get the first aid kit from upstairs," he said, knowing JJ preferred to clean up himself.

"Thanks, dude. Just make sure your mom doesn't come down. I don't need anyone's sympathy. Especially Kie's. She can't know about this, okay?" Pope directed his gaze away from JJ and sighed while shaking his head. Did JJ truly believe that Kiara was unaware of the situation?
"Well, this gash is pretty bad, and we have school tomorrow. She'll figure it out, and on Wednesday, you won't have me to come crying too." He pulled a few tissues from the box and handed them to his friend. JJ sets the tissue gently onto his eye and winces from the contact.

"Where are you going?" he questions, though he isn't concentrating. JJ appeared more concerned with holding the tissue over his bleeding eye.
"Just to my grandparents for the night. We have this big family dinner thing," Pope tells him, springing to his feet, "I'll go get you that first aid kit." JJ muttered under his breath, lost in thought and only taking notice of Pope's departure when he returned to the room.

"Here," Pope said, handing him the little box with a red cross on the front.
"Thanks," he replies, grabbing the wet cloth his friend had also bought. Pope let out a sigh as he contemplated whether or not to raise the topic of Kiara once more. Although JJ won't approve, Pope's inquisitiveness overpowers him.
"Why is it such a big deal if Kiara sees this? She knows about what happens. You'd have to be dumb not to know."

Kiara knows. Pope frequently discusses the subject with her. He informs her of the situation but deliberately withholds the information from JJ. Pope relays every intricate aspect of JJ's stories to Kiara without leaving out any details. Whenever she comes across a new tale, she feels her heart shatter.
"Yeah, yeah, I've heard that a million times. I don't like her seeing me like this, and that's why I'm not going to school tomorrow or the next day," he says, completing cleaning his eye and moving on to the next wound.