011. the fear within

Start from the beginning

"Oh, thanks," she hesitantly replied, surprised. "I think you're the first authority figure in the city who's happy I'm here."

"Republic City is much better off now that you've arrived," he smiled, basically kissing up to her. It was clear that there was a hidden motive behind his charm.

"Enough with the flattery, Tarrlok," Tenzin interjected in a protective tone, his words proving me right. "What do you want from Korra?"

"Patience, Tenzin," he demanded, a hand in the air. "I'm getting to that. As you may have heard, I am assembling a task force that will strike at the heart of the revolution and I want you to join me."

"What?!" Tenzin exclaimed, leaning forward. My eyes widened in surprise at his offer, with Korra sporting the same reaction, "Really?"

"I need someone who will help me attack Amon directly, someone who is fearless in the face of danger. And that someone is you, Korra."

She scrunched her face, taking a sip of her tea. "Join your task force? I can't."

I glanced over at Tenzin and Tarrlok, who were both stunned. "I must admit, I'm rather surprised. I thought you'd jump at the chance to help me lead the charge against Amon." said Tarrlok.

"Me too," Tenzin muttered quietly, his tone filled with utter confusion and disbelief. I couldn't hide my surprise at Korra's response either. 'Who are you, and what did you do with Korra?' I wanted to ask her jokingly, but of course I kept my mouth shut as I watched Korra place her cup down upon the table with a heavy sigh.

"I came to Republic City to finish my Avatar training with Tenzin. Right now, I just need to focus on that."

"Which is why this opportunity is perfect! You would get on the job experience while performing your Avatar duty for the city." He urged with a convincing smile upon his face. His attention seemed to flicker from Korra to me, and took advantage of our momentary eye contact. "Ms. Katrina, I suppose you would want the best not only for this beloved city, but for your sister as well, right?—"

"Korra gave you her answer, Councilman. Now, I think it's time for you to go," I sternly told him, becoming annoyed with his overdue presence. His aqua-colored eyes widened at the harshness of my tone, but he quickly maintained his composure and stood up.

"Very well," he said before pointing a finger at Korra. "However, I'm not giving up on you just yet, Avatar Korra. You'll be hearing from me soon. It has been a pleasure." Turning around to leave the room, Korra and I couldn't help sharing an eye roll at the overconfident man.

Ikki then stands up, and waves. "Bye bye, ponytail man!"

☆           ☆           ☆

Korra, Naga and I sat at the entrance of the women's dormitories. I rubbed Naga's stomach when a figure was approaching us. "Bolin!" I exclaimed happily as I quickly walked up to envelop him in a small hug. 

"Hey, Katrina!" he replied brightly, hugging me back.

"I'm glad to see you doing alright." I moved back from him and looked down with a smirk, noticing a rose and a cupcake wrapped in plastic in his hands. "Well, I'm going to take a guess and say those aren't for me, huh?"

His emerald eyes widened, flustered. "Oh! I—I'm sorry! These were actually for Korra, but uh, I can get you some when I get back to the city, maybe—"

"Oh, I was just teasing, Bolin," I assured the poor boy with a laugh, lightly hitting his shoulder. "Now, go on!"

Gesturing him to go ahead, he approached her with a wide smile. "Hello, fellow teammate!"