Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

He groaned and I felt my heart drop. "Melody, why would you do that?" he asked, shaking his head at me. The look in his eyes told me he was disappointed in me, and that in itself was enough to bring me to tears.

"I wasn't thinking, OK?" I snapped at him. He cowered back a bit and I groaned, dropping my face into my hands. "I'm sorry," I said, my voice muffled by my shirt. I pulled my legs up against my chest and rested my chin on top of my knees. "It definitely wasn't planned. I guess that just goes to show what a selfish, inconsiderate, naive little twit I am," I said with a laugh. 

I felt a hand wrap around mine and I smiled up at Damien. "Melody, you have a tough life. And all this hasn't exactly helped," he said, lightly squeezing my hand.

I nodded. "I know, I know." I looked over at Jesse's beautiful face and I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "But he's never going to forgive me.

"You don't know that." 

I wiped the tear away from my thumb and took a deep breath. "Yes, I do. I've given Jesse no reason to forgive me for anything I've done to him. I don't want him to forgive me if he feels he can't trust me anymore," I explained in a strained, forced voice. I could barely speak. It was taking everything in me to keep myself from crying out loud. 

He sighed and took my face in his hands. "Melody, stop. I don't think you're giving Jesse enough credit here. He loves you, and I don't think he's going to let you go that fast." 

"But he should," I said quietly. 

He shook his head and planted a kiss on my forehead, before standing up. "I'm not going to fight with you about this." He turned on his heel for the door. He stopped in the doorway. "Melody?" I looked up from my lap. "Please don't push him away? Give him the chance to make a decision. Don't make it for him."

I sat there for a minute before nodding. "I promise."

He smiled before disappearing down the hallway. I let out a loud breath, and leaned back on the chair, shutting my eyes, when I heard the sheets move to my side. I opened my eyes, to see Jesse laying there, his eyes almost entirely open. "Hey," he said softly.

"Hi." I scoot closer to the bed and take one of his hands in mine. "How are you?" 

He shrugs. "I'm okay. How long was I out?" he asked, moving his head around, probably trying to locate a time and date as if it mattered much.

I giggled. "It's actually only been two weeks. I'm glad it wasn't longer." 

"Two weeks?" he repeated, almost incredulous. I didn't expect him to be too calm about it. I actually expected him to wake up raging, ready to go after Lucas once again. But the medication is still wearing off, so he has time to freak out. "Everyone must be so worried," he said, his voice suddenly sounding hoarse. He sounded weak. 

I nodded. "They were," I admitted, lifting his hand up against my cheek. "But you're awake now, and you're going to make a full recovery, so it's fine!" I say happily.