Chapter 3

"Nice mouse!" Ivypaw heard Mosspaw taunting from the other side of camp.

"Oh yeah!? So, what did you learn, Mossstar the great?" The tortioseshell shot back.

"Well.... actually, Brindleflame just made me 'explore territory and clean the elder's bedding'" Mosspaw hissed.

"So this mouse is better than what you caught!" Ivypaw teased before turning around to take her pick of the Fresh Kill Pile.

*****

Ivypaw opened her eyes, and her ears pricked instantly as she herd telling in the camp.

Her first thought was, We're under attack!, but then she realized that everyone was yelling one thing, "Lightningfoot kitted!"

Beside her, Stonepaw roused. "What's going on...?" he croaked, still half asleep.

"I'm not sure... I think Lightningfoot had her kits." Ivypaw sighed, pushing herself to her paws.

She looked around the den, and realized that Mosspaw was already grooming her untidy, dark gray fur.

Ivypaw began grooming her own fur, and when she finished, her and Mosspaw decided to go see the kits.

"Come on Stonepaw..." Mosspaw's words faded as she realized that Stonepaw was sleeping. "That lazy frog." she snorted, before leading the way into the clearing.

Once in the clearing, Ivypaw sped ahead of Mosspaw, and ran to the closest warrior, which happened to be the apprentices' father, Cindereyes. "What's happening? Did... did Lightningfoot have her kits?" the silver tabby apprentice asked.

"Well... yes, yes she did. Except, in the middle of the night, and in the middle of the woods." he replied. "She came back looking as though she'd never had any kits, but she's so thin... Swallowfeather says she did."

"Oh, what about the kits, are they alright?"

"Yes, actually, they know how to walk, and their eyes are open." Cindereyes said.

"Can I go see them?!" Ivypaw, who'd been joined by Mosspaw, asked.

"Well... Go ask Graystrike, he's guarding the nursery at the moment." their father sighed, in thought.

"Okay!" and with that, the two apprentices ran across the clearing.

"Graystrike, can we go in?" Mosspaw asked as they reached the den.