Chapter 32

Elyon's POV

He's not himself.

I've been watching Mateo for the past two days and I could tell that he wasn't himself. It was like he has retreated back in to his shell of solitude. He barely talked to anyone and if he wasn't in class, he was locked up in the music room and he needed not to tell anyone of us that he wanted to be left alone.

I thought that Skye would know what was going on but whenever I asked her about Mateo's sudden change in mood, she would just shrug, give a weird face and bury her face in a book. There was a huge strain between both of them and it seemed like I'm the only one noticing all these little details.

Am I the only observant one in this group?

Exam is starting soon after all. Everyone is trying to study and pass their exams. Especially for the SS2 students since this particular exam is also a determinant for the prefect positions.

We were having our Government revision class. My eyes involuntarily moved to look beside me and it fell on Mateo. He had his head resting on the table and his eyes were downcast. His pen kept doodling nonsense on his note, and it was obvious his mind wasn't in class.

"Mateo, keep your head off the table when you are in my class." Mr Kohol's voice pierced through my ear and my head jerked up.

Seems like I'm not the only one who noticed.

I looked at Mateo again and saw that he didn't do what Mr Kohol had asked but I was pretty sure he heard.

"Mateo..." I called his attention softly and he looked at me through his glasses. His eyes held no emotions, the usual vibrancy was far gone, farther than they had ever gone.

And it was terrifying.

"Mateo, are you deaf?!" Mr Kohol's annoyed voice rang through the class and this time Mateo rose his head up.

"No sir, I'm not deaf. I heard you the first time." Mateo replied, with nonchalance and sarcasm laced in his voice. Murmurs rang through the class. I looked at Mateo in disbelief.

Mateo has never been rude to a teacher.

"Seems like you have started growing wings. I'm very sure it because you will soon become prefects. If you are not ready for this revision class then you can leave." Mr Kohol pointed to the door.

"With all pleasure." Mateo picked his bag and books and walked out of the class, much to everyone's surprise. Much to my surprise.

What's up with Mateo?

On instincts, my hand shot up to ask for permission.

"Yes Elyon." Mr Kohol replied, obvious frustration laced in his voice.

"I need to use the rest room." I sprang up from my seat and dashed out before he could even grant me the permission. I was on time to see Mateo turn by the corner to descend the staircase.

"Mateo!" I called him and he stopped short, looked back at me before turning around to resume his walk down the stairs.

"Go back to class." He said dismissively but I wasn't having it. I quickly walked down the stairs and caught up with him, holding unto his hand to stop him.

"What's the matter with you! You have been acting strange this days. You were just rude to a teacher, which might cost you a position has part of the prefects." I stated to him.

"Well, I don't give a flying fück." He jerked his hand away from my grasp and resumed his walk. I sighed in frustration wanting to speak but he turned around abruptly.