2 - "Jacey... Like the song"

Luke's POV

Memories. When most people think of memories, they associate the word with happy little flashbacks from the past. In my case, however, I see myself still sitting there, in that place, for three months. My only happy memories revolve around her. She was the light in the cloud of darkness that I call life.

I pulled into school Monday morning, and parked in my usual spot in the back of the parking lot. That way I'm out of the way. Out of sight; out of mind, right? As I walk through the parking lot, I see the usual little cliques. A group of freshman girls squealing over some sophomore that had walked by, a group of guys smoking to the side of the parking lot where they thought no one would see them, and about four other groups.

I've never really been a part of a clique, you could say. If I wasn't around Calum, I was always alone. I didn't ever fit in with, like, anyone. I didn't play any sport, or have any hobby in general that would make me click with anyone. Of course I had music, so I could have joined the band, but I was never comfortable playing for anyone. I wouldn't even play for my mom, regardless of how many times she asked.

As soon as I enter the school, I was greeted by Calum. We started a short conversation and finally he told me about his morning events.

"Well, Mindy and I broke it off this morning," he began. He sighed. "She really hates me now," He said it calmly like it didn't bother him, but I knew he was heartbroken. He really loved her, I knew he did. That's why I couldn't believe it when he told me that he cheated on her. Leona was extremely attractive, no doubt about it, but I still couldn't understand why he would do that. It's not like I could really say much about it, though, because ever since I was admitted to Golden Creek last fall, not many girls had much to do with me. I had 2 girlfriends in the past, one in middle school, and one in 9th grade. I was in 10th grade when I got bad.

"Honestly, Calum, do you blame her?" I asked.

"Well, not exactly but I apologized! And it's not like I even liked Leona like that, at all. We just hooked up, one time. It was meaningless,"

"Wouldn't you be slightly upset if she would have hooked up with someone else? Even if it was 'meaningless'." I turned the situation back on him. He rolled his eyes but the bell rang before he could argue with my point. We nodded at each other before going our own ways.

As I walked into my first period class, I locked eyes with the girl that spoke to me at the party the other night. She called me Mason, because she thought I was someone else I guess. We spoke for a few minutes, until Calum made us leave. It was only small talk, and I never even got her name. I started wondering how I never met her before. I recognized her as the girl who always had something smart or sassy to say in class, and she hung out with Mindy a lot. She was surprisingly easy to talk to, despite how beautiful she was.

Jacey's POV

I didn't even know I had first period with Luke Hemmings until I saw him looking in my direction all day. How long has he even been going to our school? The bell finally rang, and I stood up. Before I could exit my classroom, however, Luke slid in front of me.

"Hi," he began awkwardly. "I, uh, I'm Luke. You know, Mason? Well I'm not Mason, but you thought I was Mason, and -" I cut him off with a laugh at his awkward greeting. Before he could continue to embarrass himself, I began talking.

"I know, Hemmings, I know who you are. I remember you," I said. He just smiled, silently thanking me for shutting him up.

"Well, I just happened to notice that I never got your name," he said as he scratched the back of his neck. I grinned as I looked into his deep blue eyes. He really was an attractive boy. I don't know how I've overlooked him this long.