First Impressions

Dr. Adam Collins was a very warm, intelligent, understanding man. His schoolmates always came to him when there was an issue, and he always helped them. This case was new for him, but he was determined to help his new client with anything on her mind. She walked into his office quietly, a purse draped over her left shoulder. She sat on the couch with a small smile. "Hello there, I'm Dr. Collins."

"Hello Dr. Collins, I'm Bella Martinez."

"So, Miss Martinez, may I call you Bella?"

"Of course!"

"Bella, tell me a little bit about yourself."

"Well, I worked as a waitress throughout high school and after college I became a dance teacher at a dance studio. I still teach there and I love what I do! 4 years ago I had my daughter and I couldn't be a happier mother."

"What's your daughter's name?"

"Her name is Julia."

"Beautiful," he said warmly. "So tell me about why you came to see me. As much as I enjoy hearing about your career and family, surely there's a reason for your being here."

Bella paused. Her small smile slowly faded into a troubled look. After taking a deep breath, she finally spoke. "Something has bothered me during the last 15 years. It has affected my daily life, and I'm starting to believe it's affecting my abilities as a parent."

"Take your time. When you're ready to talk, I'm here to listen." Here went nothing...