♪ Chapter Eight: You ♪

Start from the beginning

Like some sort of deranged monkey, [Name] began to climb her way down the tree behind Emma, until she was just above her. She placed her hands on the branch, and then swung down the tackle Emma in a hug, the ginger shrieking. Ray flinched, jumping backward as the two crashed into a pile of leaves, scattering the foliage everywhere.

"Holy fudge nuggets!" Ray snapped. "Be careful!"

"Sorry," [Name] chirped uncharacteristically, rubbing her cheek against Emma's. The ginger was in some sort of bliss, a goofy smile stuck on her face. "I'm just excited."

"You were so tired this morning," Norman noted, walking up to the three. "What happened?"

"Mama made me take a nap," [Name] said, sitting up with Emma still in her arms. "So now I'm not tired."

"Seriously though, what happened to you?" Ray asked. "Don't tell me she gave you drugs to forget..." he muttered.

"What was that?" [Name] tilted her head. Ray shook his head.

"Nevermind," he said, flicking her forehead. "Just don't jump from that high again. It's dangerous."

[Name] squeaked, releasing Emma to rub her forehead. "I've jumped from higher, it's fine." Her expression turned teasing. "Are you worried about me?"

Ray recoiled, crossing his arms with a huff. He looked away, a barely noticeable pink hue dusting his cheeks. "Don't get the wrong idea," he said. "I couldn't care less if you got hurt, it's Emma I'm worried about."

[Name] shifted from her spot on the ground. "You were scolding me for jumping from high places, not tackling Emma, and she's fine," she said, gesturing the blissful ginger in her lap.

"Wh-Whatever," Ray stuttered. He shook his head, the pink disappearing, and his expression back to normal. "Anyways, we need to talk."

"Talk? About whA-" [Name] was cut off by Ray grabbing her arm and dragging her away. Emma snapped out of her daze, looking around confusedly while Norman fussed over her. The white-haired boy glanced over to Ray and [Name]'s retreating backs with a confused look.

"Wonder what they want to talk about," he mumbled. Emma shot up from the leaves with a pout.

"Ray's just jealous because [Name] hugged me and not him," she huffed. "So he took her away from me."

"Somehow I don't think that's it," Norman said nervously.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"So what happened?" Ray started his interrogation as soon as they got out of hearing range of the other two. [Name] stared at him blankly.

"You knew?" she asked gently. "You knew all this time?"

Oh. Ray flinched. So Mom told her.

"I made a deal with Mother," [Name] revealed. Not Mama, or even Mom, Ray noticed. He blinked.

"Wait, you what?" he exclaimed. "What were you thinking? She'll just--"

"It's okay," [Name] cut him off. "I'm fine with it. As long as you three get to live, I'm happy."

"It's not okay!" Ray snapped. "This isn't how it's supposed to be. This isn't how it was supposed to go."

"Ray..." [Name] tried for a smile, but the ravenette could see her breaking down inside. "We'll be fine."

"But--" Ray stopped when he felt [Name]'s arms wrap around him, her head resting on his shoulder. He grit his teeth. He was supposed to be the sacrifice, not her. He didn't want her to go through this, to give up everything when it was supposed to be the other way around.

"It must have hurt," [Name] murmured. "Watching everyone die in front of you like that. But I'm here now."

"Stupid," Ray muttered, wrapping an arm around the girl in front of him. "Stop talking like you're going to die. I told you before. We're getting out of here. All four of us."

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<< Date: January, 2039 (2 month Timeskip) >>

Robert wrapped his arms around himself as he trudged up the hill to the orphanage, his eyes trained on the light in front of him. The snow's cold nipped at his skin, but that wasn't what chilled his spine.

Bright red flowers flashed in his mind, along with the body of his sibling.

Robert let out a shuddered breath, his breath misting in the cold night air. He had to get home before Isabella found him out. He had to tell everyone before she could dispose of her.

He looked behind him. His footprints were very clear in the inch-deep snow. If Lady Luck was on his side, the snow would fill those footprints before Isabella got home.

Walking forward, he bumped into something small, falling backward into the snow with a grunt. Robert rubbed his head, looking up at what had knocked him down. His heart stopped.

Staring down at him with stone-cold eyes, was [Name], with a lantern held in her hand. Robert gasped.

"Y-You're working with her," he stammered, scrambling backward. His hand slipped on the snow and he fell back. "You... You knew and you didn't do anything... You let him... You let Marin die!"

[Name]'s eyes flashed at the name of the blue-haired boy. She glared down at her senior lethally. The howling wind swirled around them, before blowing out [Name]'s lantern with a snake-like hiss. In the darkness, [Name]'s (e/c) hues seemed to glow, like a demon waiting to devour him.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Is that all?" Isabella asked, standing up. [Name] watched her from the doorway, still holding her lantern. She nodded mutely. Isabella smiled. "Good."

[Name] placed the empty lantern on a shelf. Isabella watched her, curiosity in her orbs.

"Say, [Name] dear?" The girl glanced back in acknowledgment. "I've been wondering, how are you so willing to sell out your siblings?"

[Name] tilted her head at the question. "Why are you so willing to kill your kids?"

"Touché."

She stepped back from the shelf, her hands in front of her. "I'm willing to cooperate with you as long as you keep up your end of the deal."

"I see," Isabella hummed, her pen clicking as she wrote. "Even at the cost of everyone else?"

"Even at the cost of everyone else," the girl replies with no hesitation. "This world can burn to the ground for all I care, as long as they are safe."

"Why do you care about them so much?"

[Name]'s fist tightened. For the first time, she looked uncertain. "I... I don't know," she admitted. She shook her head with a gentle smile. "But I don't need a reason, right?"

Isabella's eyes widened. [Name] placed a hand on her chest.

"Those three make me feel warm," she said fondly. "When I lost him, it hurt a lot right here. I don't want to feel like that again." Her hand dropped to her side. "But you wouldn't understand. Sorry. Good night, Mama."

"Good night, [Name]."

The ravenette woman watched [Name] close the door behind her. Isabella's expression became sorrowful as she looked to the wall of her office. There, taped to the wall, was a crude crayon drawing of two smiling children in front of a tree. One had a long black braid, while the other held a pear-shaped instrument.

"I do understand," she murmured, reaching over to caress the drawing. "Much more than you think."

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

wow isn't that a crappy ending

aNYWAYS that marks the end of the playhouse arc, or the prequel arcs before the manga/anime's story line. y'all ready for a SEVEN YEAR TIMESKIP?!

I'm not

anyways I'm editing this later bye for now