the one with the red train

“They make you into
a weapon, and then
tell you to find
peace.”

MY BREATH WAS stuck in my throat when I saw the owls sitting with our results. Hermione was having a feverish panic attack as she tried to unhinge her results from her owl. I looked at Harry's result, patting his shoulder slightly. I looked at my owl and thought, what's happened has happened and opened my letter.

Skylar Nova Firegold has achieved:

Astronomy: O

Care of Magical Creatures: O

Charms: E

Defense Against the Dark Arts: O

Arithmancy: E

Herbology: O

History of Magic: O

Potions: E

Transfiguration: O

"What is it?" Harry asked, looking at me expectantly. "Did you flunk anything?"

Harry read his parchment through several times. He ran his  finger down the grades. "Only failed Divination and History of Magic, and who cares about them?" said Harry. "Here, swap."

I glanced down Harry's grades: "Knew you'd be top at Defense Against the Dark Arts," said Ron, who was peering over my shoulder to look at Harry's grades, punching Harry on the shoulder. "We've done all right, haven't we?"  

"Well?" Harry barked with laughter. "Skylar's got nine OWLs!"

"Nine OWLs," I said, taking me some time to understand it as well. "Oh, my God!"

"Skylar!" Ron snatched my results from my hand. "You're a genius!"

"Hermione is. She has ten OWLs!" I said, peering into her result. "I expected a dreadful in Potions. I completely ruined the practicals," I said. "I think there's a mistake—"

"Oh, come on!" Ron said. "It has happened. You've done it. Now be Happy!"

"I suppose," I said, clamping my hands over my mouth. "We did it, Ron! Harry, Hermione," I was laughing. "We're officially NEWT students!"

"Mum, are there any more sausages!" Ron was saying.

I was still stunned at the results, realizing all that hard work since the beginning of the year had paid off. I only wondered what happened with Draco's results.

In the next couple weeks, it was true that Igor Karkaroff would dead; Ollivander and Florean would be taken away. There were odd accidents and disappearances. But Harry would be made Quidditch Captain. Now he had equal status as the Prefects and he was more than happy about it. I was just glad I was off the spotlight grid.

I spent most of my time Floo-ing between Grimmauld Place and Burrow, working awfully hard in spending equal time with Sirius and the Weasleys. It felt bad to be away from him so much after spending so much of our time together. He was still alone there and he still wasn't cleared of all charges. I don't know how he wasn't spotted last year in the Department of Mysteries but he did and he wasn't caught.

It would have been a happy, peaceful holiday had it not been for the stones of disappearances, odd accidents, even of deaths now appearing almost daily in the Prophet. Sometimes Bill and Mr Weasley brought home news before it even reached the paper. To Mrs Weasley's displeasure, Harry's sixteenth birthday celebrations were marred by grisly tidings brought to the party by Remus Lupin, who was looking gaunt and grim, his brown hair streaked liberally with gray, his clothes more ragged and patched than ever.