Chapter One- The Girl Who Survived

Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape were in front of a building which appeared to have seen better days. It had an old worn out look and it emitted a bitter, cold air.

Dumbledore verified the address again to confirm that they were indeed at the right place. The house wasn't just a house. This house happened to be an orphanage and Dumbledore plus Snape were there to see young Calliope-Rose Potter.

As it was every year the deputy-headmistress would send out the acceptance letters to all the registered wizards/witches. Several professors would visit the select few who required assistance. This year, however, presented a different problem; this was the year that Calliope-Rose Potter would return to the wizarding world.

Dumbledore spent several hours making and discarding plans on how to deal with this particular situation. Would it be best to simply send a letter? Should he send a professor and if he did send one, who would be most appropriate? After several options were discarded he concluded that it would be best if he went himself. If he went himself he could talk to the girl and find out what kind of character she is. Having made his decision, he waited until Calliope's birthday and apparated to Privet Drive.

What was supposed to be a delightful afternoon talking with Callie and her family was anything but.

Mr and Mrs Dursley lost no time in telling the headmaster that they had left the freak, that was their opinion of the child, at the nearest police station.

They then informed the man that they wanted nothing to do with freaks and promptly closed the door on his crooked nose.

It took thirty seconds of Albus staring at the front door to 4 Privet Drive to process what he had been told. When he finally understood he sought out Hogwarts Potion Master, Severus Snape to help him locate the young lady. He may be the greatest wizard of his time, but even he had to admit defeat when it came to navigating the muggle world.

Finally, after a good few hours, plus a little magical help, they were able to locate Miss Potter in an orphanage for girls.

This led to them sitting in a stuffy office talking to the matron of the establishment.

"You are here to take little Callie to a school for the gifted? Was that what you said?" questioned Mrs. Cole.

Dumbledore smiled his usual smile with a twinkle in his eye before answering "That's right. She's been registered since birth, her parents attended also. If you don't mind Mrs. Cole could you tell me how long Calliope has been here at the orphanage?"

"Approximately 10 years, I think. I believe a police officer brought her on 5 November, 81. She was such a calm, beautiful baby, never cried. We never understood why nobody wanted her, but then..."

Mrs Cole didn't continue for it seemed she was lost in memories. This caused albus to have a bad feeling. He remembered a conversation from 50 years ago which happened the same way.

"Was there something wrong with her?" Dumbledore asked calmly.

"I wouldn't say 'wrong' as such... I believe strange would be the word to use... Even when she was a baby, her eyes, they seemed to be able to see the darkest secrets of a person's soul. It was unsettling."

Albus made a noise of recognition and took another sip from his tea."What else could you tell us about Young Calliope?"

Now Mrs. Cole appeared in a state of discomfort and Dumbledores bad feeling grew.

"Well Callie is an incredible student. She has the top grades in the school; she even advanced to a higher year in the curriculum. Most of the teachers believe her to be a prodigy."

Dumbledore visibly relaxed; she could be uncomfortable because she didn't want them to be under the impression that she was exaggerating. There was no reason for his bad feeling. He had almost convinced himself of this until Snape asked a question that shattered any belief Albus had.

"What about friends?"

Mrs Cole appeared to be even more uncomfortable but she managed a small smile and said "Ah, Calliope was never very social... You know how children can be... Some can be really cruel..."

Severus had to contain his sneer. The child seemed to be following her father's footsteps. "She's a bully? Is that what you're saying?" Snape loathed bullies.

"Oh no, quite the opposite actually. The other children were rather mean to her. We're a small orphanage running off of little donations you see. The children are all so eager to be adopted. As soon as this angelic child turns up, brilliant in everything that she does... The older children grew to resent her. They would beat her, tear her clothes, lock her somewhere; anything to make her seem less enchanting..."

"Did anybody do anything?" asked Albus

"What could we do? There was no evidence that we could have used. Calliope was completely alone, nobody tried to defend her." the matron began to defend herself, slowly her face adopted a fearful expression "Things changed..." she began with a whisper, it appeared as if she was talking to herself rather than those around her "Oh how they changed..."

"What changed Mrs Cole?" Albus asked gently. His previously forgotten bad feeling came back full force. He really did try but he couldn't help noticing similarities between Callie and Tom. Although he could still try to convince himself that they were merely coincidences.

Severus may have been too young to have been there personally but he knew what his beloved mentor was thinking. Albus had told him stories of the brilliant student who had passed through Hogwarts 50 years ago. He thought that if he could see similarities then Albus would see them clearer.

"You are going to take her right?" the matron asked with her voice slightly above a whisper.

"Calliope-Rose has been registered since she was born; nothing said here will stop us from taking her. We would just like to know more about her." Albus replied in a reassuring Manor.

Mrs. Cole nodded and told them everything she had ever suspected.

"Things began to change when she turned seven. Keep in mind that we never had any evidence. For all intents and purposes she continued to be the perfect student who charmed her teachers. As time went on the other children started to fear her. It started with Jayne, her arm didn't break by itself now did it? Jayne was 14 and Callie was 7.

A few months after that we went to visit a farm so that the children could learn more about the animals. A little garden snake got onto the bus, Callie took a liking to it and she asked if she could keep it. We saw no problem with it as long as it didn't hurt anyone.

Emilia, an older orphan, stole the snake, killed it and put it in a box. She then wrapped said box to give to Callie for Christmas. The morning after she was mocked and labelled a frwak. They said that the snake committed suicide so it wouldn't have to be seen by Calliope. Through all of that she never cried.

One week after that happened Emilia was hospitalised; she was in a coma. Nobody knows what happened, she went to bed and just wouldn't wake up. She awoke after two week. When she woke she had to be institutionalised, to this day the doctors have no idea what happened but I remember little Callie smile.

The following year we found two girls locked in the cellar. No idea how or why but when we found them they were scared of their own shadows. It lasted six months before Chelsea killed herself in her room.

If I even accused Calliope no one would believe me. She's a true fallen angel."

Mrs Cole had finished her story and they could see her face clearly. Her expression showed fear and awe. This sent a shiver down the spines of the men for they had seen the exact expression before. It was the way the Death Eaters looked at their Lord before he perished.

Albus made an effort to send the woman a smile and asked if it were possible to speak with Calliope. The idea of seeing Potter did not please Severus at all and only living as a spy stopped him from showing this. That was something that unsettled him.

Mrs. Cole showed them to the hall where Callie's room was situated. She simply pointed at the door and walked away.

A/N I'M WRITING ON MY PHONE AS I DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER SO IF THERE'S ANY MISTAKES I AM SORRY.