Five • Crash

A long table stood in the middle of a large, sleek boardroom. It was dark, illuminated by a projector casting footage onto the back wall. Around the table sat a group of officials in suits and name-badges. Everyone from SWORD and ex-shield members to CIA and government leaders watched as a woman with grey hair clicked through slides on the screen, each one showing images of Juno and the devastation she had left behind on the New York street.

"The unknown subject is now believed to be from earth," said the woman. "Either a mutant or biologically enhanced individual."

"Do we have any idea who she is?" asked one of the men at the table.

"Negative. The images are too blurry for facial recognition, but we have a team working on it." She clicked to another slide showing grainy CCTV footage. "She was sighted a few days ago at New York Hospital."

"Who is that with her?"

"Doctor Stephen Strange. Ex-neurosurgeon - stopped practicing in 2016 after suffering injuries to his hands."

"What do we know about him?"

"He's believed to have an association with the Avengers. He disappeared in the Snap, came back in the Blip and fought in the battle against Thanos."

"Do we know what he can... do?"

"No." She brought up a picture of Stephen in his sorcerers robes and long red cloak. "He's been sighted wearing some kind of uniform but we've failed to identify where it's from. We believe he has enhanced abilities; what they are, we don't know."

"Alright," said a man at the top of the table. He ran his fingers over his eyebrow as he spoke. "Let's locate this Dr Strange and talk to him, find out his connection to the girl. I also want eyes all over New York - in the sky, on the streets."

"Yes sir," the others murmured as they nodded and began rising from their seats.

The man turned to the woman giving the presentation. "Any word from the Avengers?"

"They're still not talking," she replied.

*

"This is... Not working," said Bruce with a sigh as he lifted a pair of protective goggles onto his large head.

"What do you need?" asked Rhodey as he stood with his arms folded nearby.

"Resources, expertise..."

"So, you pretty much need Tony Stark."

"Pretty much."

Rhodey walked over to a screen, tapping his finger against the slate of clear glass and watching as it came to life with intricate blueprints.

"What about T'Challa's little sister?" asked Sam as he stepped into the room. "When we needed to get the stone out of Vision's head, we took him straight to Wakanda."

"Shuri? Mm, I guess I could ask her," Bruce pondered.

He looked down at the machine he was trying to build, sighing at the tangle of wires and metal.

*

In the sanctum, Juno and Wong sat facing one another, each of them holding a set of playing cards fanned out in their hands. Juno placed her cards on the table between them, looking up at Wong with a smirk. He rolled his eyes and threw his cards down.

"I thought you said you'd never played before," he said.

"I haven't."

"Are you using your powers to beat me? Because we agreed no magic."