Chapter Nine

Charlotte was still overjoyed with the fact that Sebastian loved her as she did with him. If only they could have a normal courting system.

Instead, they were eavesdropping on the King. Sebastian didn't completely trust the king to tell him everything. He thought that his father might omit some information to protect him, which was why they were surreptitiously listening to the King's conversation.

They were currently stationed outside a closed door, with their ears pressed against it. Unfortunately, there were guards right next to them. Sebastian had managed to make them relax a little by telling them that he was the prince and would pose no threat to his father. He added that he was simply curious about the business his father was conducting.

The only people who have conversed with the king belonged to his council. Sebastian told her that he knew all of them, courtesy of his princely lessons. They were his decision advisors, but not necessarily his most trusted person. Not with an assassin around, under everyone's nose.

So far, the men had been talking about decisions that revolved around the kingdom. Were all the regions faring well? Did any of the neighboring kingdoms seem to be preparing for war? Were the diplomats in other nations establishing alliances?

After around a half hour, the king finally revealed plans relevant to the assassin.

"Councilmen, I think that perhaps we need to invite all the Dukes to the palace to reassure their alliances to the throne. It will be a routine check," King Maxwell announced nonchalantly. The way he said it made it seem as if there was nothing wrong.

But Charlotte and Sebastian knew better. They knew that they, along with the king, suspected the dukes.

With the exception of Kaiden, of course, who was clearly happy with his new wife to even think of stealing the throne. Also, it simply wasn't in his personality, based on the four months she spent at his castle, to kill anyone.

But the other dukes were still suspects. Duke Kleyr had the least amount of suspicion, but it would be a good idea to observe everyone's habits.

However, there was one danger to asking them to come to the palace. That would simply make it easier for the assassin or the mastermind to target Sebastian or the king.

Charlotte gave Sebastian a sharp look, worry returning to her. He reached over to grasp her hand, giving her a look that told her not to worry.

~

Charlotte still remembered that day as if it was yesterday. But a week had passed since then and the dukes had arrived. Sickly Frederick, quiet Tobias, haughty Lionel, kind Kleyr and even Kaiden.

Kaiden was not pleased to be separated from his wife immediately after he had come back from their honeymoon to the oceanside. His initial reaction to Sebastian's situation was an exasperated sigh that had a twinge of worry. But he was on board for helping them out.

Currently, Charlotte was on her way back to the meeting point. She had dressed up like a maid and pretended to go tidy up Lionel's room. Although, she had been actually digging around to see what things he brought along.

It was no surprise that he brought some alcohol. There was also some strange potted plants that Charlotte couldn't identify. She had glanced at it with disgust before digging through the rest of his personal belongings.

Unfortunately, Lionel was the only duke she could pretend to be a maid for because she had already personally met with all of the other dukes. Which led to the next problem. All of the dukes could recognize her face, therefore, it meant that she needed to be even more sneaky.