Chapter One: Marina's Old Photo

"Hmmph...the Inklings think they have defeated ME, the Octobot King! It's time for me to show them just how dumb they're acting! Ersa, get Marina for me, and make it quick!" DJ Octavio boomed impatiently at the Octoling who was nearest to him. She jumped, startled, before nodding her head quickly and running off to get the DJ's beloved daughter. "I'll show them! I'll show them ALL!!"
It was dark in the Inkling city of Inkopolis Square, and it was at exactly midnight that Marina jerked up from her bed in the apartment she shared with Pearl. The Octoling popstar had had a restless sleep-hardly any sleep at all-and she felt exhausted after what she had rehearsed with Pearl over and over again just earlier that day. It was even more unpleasant that a nightmare-almost unbearable to think about-lingered in Marina's mind, and no matter how hard she tried to push it to the back of her thoughts, she couldn't. She let out a low groan, rising shakily from her bed and pushing her hair out of her dark face. She quietly slipped outside, careful not to wake Pearl, knowing she would not be able to lure herself back to sleep. Marina surveyed the peaceful square, her teal eyes slowly filling with tears she could not hold back. She made her way to a nearby bench and sank down on it, her hands covering her face. There weren't any Inklings or Octolings around to see her crying, but that wasn't what bothered her. Her mind was filled with thoughts of DJ Octavio, the very one she couldn't stand to think about, and the one she had fled from after hearing the Squid Sisters' legendary Calamari Inkantation. The song had changed her heart and soul, and after hearing it, she couldn't bear to work with the DJ any longer.
DJ Octavio had not been unkind to her, but Marina knew the work he did was evil. She had realized his heart and mind were evil, and so she had left him. But leaving did not ease the pain in Marina's heart. She had loved him dearly, and it was only after hearing the two popstars' song that she realized what the DJ did was wrong.
When she had left the apartment, Marina had taken a small photo out of a drawer. Now her eyes rested on the photo she held shakily in her hand. The photo revealed her to be next to DJ Octavio, and the DJ had one of his tentacles wrapped tightly around Marina, as if he never wanted to let her go. And the Marina in the photo was smiling happily, one of her arms also wrapped firmly around the DJ. The photo brought fresh tears to her eyes, and very slowly they fell from them until she couldn't take it anymore. She let the photo fall from her trembling fingers, and she hid her face from any prying eyes that could secretly be watching her.
"Yo, Rina! Why're you out here in the middle of the night?!"
The voice startled Marina, and she shot up, her eyes red and hot from crying. She avoided eye contact with Pearl, and she quickly picked up the photo, crumpling it up in her fist.
"Pearl, I told you not to call me that!" Marina sighed impatiently. Her bad attitude surprised Pearl, but this didn't faze the Inkling.
"'Kay, what's the matter?" Pearl asked her friend, her golden eyes revealing her curiosity.
"What do you mean?" Marina countered in a brisk voice.
"Look at me, Rina!" Pearl exclaimed finally, ignoring the glare the Octoling gave her. "You're not acting like yourself! You've gotta tell me what's wrong!"
"Pearlie," Marina answered calmly, "I'm fine. I'm just a little tired. I didn't get much sleep. I've been thinking about...things."
"What kinda things, Rina?" Pearl questioned expectantly, narrowing her eyes at Marina.
"It's nothing important!" Marina finally burst out, her shaky voice surprising Pearl again."I'm sorry, Pearl. I just need to be alone for a while. I'll come in soon, okay?"
"Fine," Pearl mumbled, giving up due to the tiredness she felt. She trailed back to the apartment slowly and reluctantly, but when she reached it, she glanced over her shoulder to see Marina sitting on the bench, all alone. She looked lonely and sad, leaving Pearl wondering what had happened to make her this upset.