When Hunger Strikes

Requested by CaptainSwanEriel

This fan requested a oneshot where the Reader forgets to eat while helping Varian, which leads to playful teasing and fluff.

Hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~

Today was one of those days where Varian was involved in so much work at once, he needed an extra hand. Luckily, you, his assistant and girlfriend, were always there to help. If everything else, you were his best companion, Rudiger being a close second. You mostly help with organizing notes and books, as well as helping reach high shelves.

Yeah, you can see that last bit is something you both don't do together very often...

There have been times when you helped with a compound gone wrong or caught your boyfriend when he trips over his own two feet. However, that was very rare since the alchemist got back from his journey with Rapunzel. He had gained a new confidence and wisdom, which you were thankful for in some ways.

Today, Varian was taking notes for new compounds. You were currently cleaning a spill for one of his earlier tests. You didn't really mind, but Varian needed to be careful. Especially considering...Well, you know what happened.

Of course, everything was back to normal now. Plus none of the chemicals damaged the equipment or tools. So, no harm or foul done. Well, at least except for one thing...

"Hey, (Y/N)? Can you get me my old notebook?" Your boyfriend asked, still focused on his research.

"Got you, boo," you said before grabbing a nearby stepping stool to use in your task. Once you got onto the top step, you reached your arm up towards where the book was located. Unfortunately, you had to get on your tiptoes, which became risky as the stool began to wobble. You were an inch away from grabbing the notes when...

Grrrrrrrrrr...

Silence fell upon the room as your stomach rumbles with the familiar dull pain of hunger. You flattened your feet against the stool, utterly embarrassed. Varian slowly and awkwardly turned around in his seat and asked, "Was that your stomach?"

"Umm..." you couldn't say a word. You were far too embarrassed by your rebellious tummy to speak. The words were practically caught in your throat. You hugged your belly, face becoming a tomato.

"Geez, (Y/N)! I mean, I know you're fierce and all, but your stomach sounded like a tiger or thunder crashing!" He teased, placing his gloved hand on your midsection. You shot him a look that said that you weren't very amused.

"Hehe... but, seriously, honey, when did you last eat?" He asked, rubbing your growling tummy to soothe the pain.

"A day ago. I'm sorry. It's just that I've been so caught up with helping you in the lab lately, I get really tired and I forget to feed myself," you answered, putting your hands on top of his. You really loved Varian and loved helping him with his work. But, sometimes, you had trouble keeping up with your own well-being.

"Oh, (N/N). That's sweet of you that you wanna help me out as much as possible. But, if you ever need a break, especially to eat, just tell me. I'll understand."

Oh my goodness! What did you do to deserve this boy? You wrapped your arms around his neck in a hug, reveling in the warmth. He hugged back tightly, holding you closer. Unfortunately, that did nothing to help with your traitorous stomach as it growled loudly again. You groaned and he laughed softly before taking your arm, "Come on. Let's make you something to eat. Is there anything you want?"

"Well..."

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

"Okay, that time, it wasn't me," you said, putting your arms up in defense.

"Nope... that was me. I may or may not have skipped lunch today to finish up some extra work. Hehe..." Varian replied, face red as he chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh my gosh, Var. What am I going to do with you? Well, we probably shouldn't make something, considering your father is out, getting groceries. Hmmm..." you concluded before hitting a dead end.

"There are plenty of taverns to go to. Plus, the princess gave me a flyer for this new sandwich shop. If you bring the flyer, you can get two sandwiches for the price of one," Varian proposed, holding the mentioned flyer for the sandwich shop.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go!" You immediately grabbed your boyfriend and satchel before busting out the door.

"(Y/N), slow down. I can only go so fast!"

Let's just say, you both ate good that night...