Chapter 13

1981

The sky was dark but the streets of Copacabana were lit up, alive and thriving with people. A black car, its windows tinted and tightly rolled up, was laying low close by along a road where women in short skirts littered the street. 

From the back seat, a man looked nervously around, scanning the faces of every woman that passed by and then, convinced that he had possibly found what he was looking for, he wound the window down and poked his head out.

"Excuse me." he called out softly and a woman whipped her head around. He'd quickly ducked back when he didn't recognise her and the man in the front seat cracked up having watched his embarrassed action through the rear view.

He tried not to be seen but it was too late, the woman was fast approaching and the closer she got to the car the more he felt his heart begin to thud.

"Oooh gatinho...will you buy me a drink?" She asked light-heartedly. He bit his lip, forced to reply.

"H-Hello...what's your name?" he asked.

"Emannuella." She said smiling widely which may have been pleasant except some of her teeth appeared to be missing which was a shame considering she was young.

"That's a nice name..." Michael responded awkwardly. "Well I just wanted to ask...um...do you know this girl?" he lifted the creased polaroid on his lap and slowly the girl's expression switched from one of flirtation to one of confusion until it soon portrayed offence.

"No sorry." she said already shaking her head and pulling back from the car.

"Oh." He said but she was already turning away from him and returned to her friend who had been waiting for her, the both of them walking away. "Sorry to have disturbed you..." he muttered defeatedly to himself.

"Boss, we've been out here all night, this is like looking for a needle in a haystack." Samuel said from the drivers seat, Michael sighed.

"I know but...w-what did they say at the store?" he asked and Samuel looked up at him through the rear view.

"They said they've never seen her." Michael chewed his lip as his eyes scanned the people outside. He sighed, on the brink of calling an end to another day of searching.

He placed his hand on the window about to wind it up again when someone else caught his attention. In a blind flash of urgency he sat up and leaned toward the gap in the open window.

"Hello, excuse me?" He called out of the window and a lady diverted off her course toward him flashing him a beautiful smile as she approached.

"Hola!" She said and he couldn't help but smile back. Now this girl really was attractive, and it threw him off a little.

"Hi, how you doin? Wow you're very stunning..." he said through his discomfort, unable to hide the truth resting on the tip of his tongue. He received an odd and blatantly amused look from his driver but he powered on regardless, hoping his flattery would yield a better result.

"Thank you." She giggled in a husky and lustful voice. He leaned back slightly feeling heat climbing up his neck.

"Yeah um...see I was just wandering if you maybe knew who this girl is?" he asked quickly and she actively glanced at the photo peering closely at it. Then just when he thought it might click she shook her head from side to side.

"No sorry, I don't know her." She said. "Is she your girlfriend?" she pried teasingly and he chuckled nervously as a response.

"Oh, no. Just...just somebody that I'm looking for."