She was dressed as the Mother of Faces, her face the goddess and a whole large tree curling up her frame, hugging her body tightly and almost obscenely. It left absolutely nothing to the imagination.

"I think you're lost," Katara said shortly.

Nadhari pressed her shoulders back, her chest jutting out as she hopped on to the table next to Sokka. Too close.

He scooted an inch closer to Katara. Nadhari followed.

"No, I'm right where I want to be," she said, then turned all her attention to Sokka. "So, you're a Prince, aren't you?"

"Not really. I live in a snow hut," Sokka said, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes. "I'm sure you'd hate it."

"Oh, let me be the judge of that. You haven't danced yet." Nadhari flicked a finger up his arms. "What can I do to get you out there?" she purred, "I don't think I've ever told you how handsome and strong you are."

Katara sipped her drink, unsure what to even say. Tui, how pathetic and desperate. Oh yes, she hated Nadhari. She had no qualms about sharing her opinions, so she said it out loud.

Nadhari turned, giggling. "Now, Katara, let's not be so mean on ourselves," she said, hardly ruffled, as though Katara was stupid or emotional enough to call herself those things. "But then again...Prince Zuko hasn't even looked at you, whereas you're doing a pitiful job of pretending like you aren't always looking for him. He's danced with me already, twice."

Katara wished Toph were here to confirm or deny it, but from how boldly she proclaimed it, Katara had a feeling Nadhari was right. Though she was sure there were reasons for Zuko's behavior, she found her throat dry and unable to speak.

"Well, you sure as heck aren't going to find something here," Sokka said at once, finding a firm tone laced with harshness. "Get lost or I'll tell Zuko you were trying to kiss me. That's treason, isn't it?"

Nadhari startled back as though she'd been slapped. "But I...I was just-"

"Who will he believe?" Sokka growled, stepping forward. "Want to test that? Your funeral."

Nadhari pulled up the hems of her dress and left with a huff. Katara had retreated back into a seat. She could no longer see Zuko in the crowd.

"Kat, you okay?" Sokka's voice was unspeakably gentle. It reminded her of when she'd nearly cut her hand off when a fishing expedition went wrong and he'd be so worried but had tried so hard to not let Katara see it as he walked her through patching herself up.

"She's probably lying," Katara said, though her voice faltered.

"What's going on with you two? Not Nadhari, but Zuko? I would have thought by now you'd be planning a wedding," Sokka said, sitting next to her. He blocked the ballroom from view, giving Katara a moment to feel as though they were the only two there.

"I don't even know. He started pulling back and I thought maybe I just imagined his affections, or that it was all just a momentary obsession. We had a huge fight...I know I'm right."

"You're stubborn at the worst of times," Sokka agreed.

"I just feel like I can't move forward unless we come to common ground. Then things just got so icy between us that it felt like every step we took was backward. Then, yesterday, he said he missed me and he would do what it took to fix us. I thought he meant romantically. Perhaps he just sees me as a friend and he's found who he really was looking for. I do miss him even as that, but it would be hard to..." She could not find the words. "I don't know if I could stay."