18. The Solitaire Ring

Comenzar desde el principio

This topic began with the most issue they brought up besides their engagement party preparation today. Jeein strictly forbade Yongdae to tell Hyeyoon anything about her past.

"No," Jeein, still firm about her decision. "Hyeyoon just started her new life happily with such a great man like Kiyong. We can't mess things up again between them," Jeein gave a straight look at Yongdae. "What happened before is a past. Rowoon has nothing to do with Hyeyoon anymore,"

"But you lied," Yongdae struck her right on his point.

Jeein was speechless for a split second before she regained her mind back on track once again. "I had to do that," she spoke in a relatively low voice. "It was for her best,"

Yongdae sighed. "But Rowoon is here. Sooner or later, they will bump to each other, the encounter is unavoidable," he then added confidently, "their fate is not yet over, I have a feeling about that,"

Jeein tried to hold her laughter, "What? Are you a psychic now?" Jeein took her juice and drank almost half of it, "you can see the future?"

"I have an intuition about this," as he said that, Yongdae showed her his smug face. After that, the two continued their conversation aimlessly as they finished dinner. Jeein bit her lips nervously. Though Yongdae seemed not serious about what he said, she couldn't help but feel anxious about the possibility that those two past lovers might bump into each other again. She could feel a slight hint of guilt in her heart toward her best friend.

* * *

Dahyun stretched out her stiff muscle. The digital clock on her desk was pointing precisely at 8 PM. It was already dark outside. She glanced to her side and saw Hyeyoon still busy with her laptop. Both her PC and laptop were on standby.

Dahyun blinked a few times and was amazed how Hyeyoon could stay focused for quite a long time. The girl then had the idea. She got up from her seat and walked to the pantry. She opened the fridge and saw a few beers, colas, and ciders. So she took out two cans of cola and cider.

The girl returned to her desk and put the ciders on Hyeyoon's desk.

"Eonni," Dahyun called. Hyeyoon then diverted her gaze from the screen to Dahyun. She saw the younger girl put the cider on her desk. "Take a rest," she said while sipping her cola. "I'm almost done my part," she walked back to her seat and showed Hyeyoon her progress.

"Thanks," Hyeyoon opened the can and drank the liquid. "Good," she responded while checking Dahyun's work. After a quick check, Hyeyoon clicked the save button on her PC and laptop. She stretched out her muscle and slumped her back to the seat tiredly.

Just after that, Hyeyoon saw Kiyong walk closer to her desk, with a tired smile plastered on his handsome face.

He checked on Hyeyoon's laptop and looked at his girlfriend. "How far did you get for today?" Kiyong asked while rubbing softly on Hyeyoon's back. Dahyun carefully cast her gaze back to her work and gave the two some privacies.

Hyeyoon smiled and gently touched his arm to reassure him that everything had gone well. "Almost done with the site plan, one more rendering and I'm all done,"

Dahyun then turned off her laptop and quietly tidied up her stuff. The other staff followed her as they got up and were ready to leave. The girl slowly got up. Kiyong looked at the girl, and Dahyun bowed to the manager. Three other staff bowed, and they gathered to the door. Kiyong then glanced at the watch and nodded. It was indeed the time to leave.

"Excuse me, Sir," Dahyun politely excused her leaving, to which Kiyong responded with a nod and let his staff take their leave first. "I'm leaving first, Eonni," Dahyun whispered to Hyeyoon, and she replied a yes to her lowly.