Chapter one: The Island

"Giving up already?" Riku swung his wooden sword. He was a tall muscular sixteen year old, and had silver hair and green eyes, and was determined to beat his rival. "Come on, Sora." 

Rivals though they were, Sora was also his best friend since childhood, and had guided Riku back to the light when his heart was plunged into darkness. He was fifteen, and had deep blue eyes and spiky brown hair. 

"I'm not giving up!" Sora replied. "I'm just going easy!"

"Hey, is that Kairi?" 

"Huh?" Sora turned over his shoulder, allowing Riku to knock the sword out of his hand. 

"Gotcha." Riku smirked.

"Hey, no fair!" Sora pouted.

"That's one of the basic rules in fighting, you know. Don't lose focus. Not even for a second." 

"Why are we playing with wooden swords, anyway?"

"'Cause we're bored, remember?"

"Right." The hero nodded and flashed a grin, "So, wanna go again?"

"I've got a better idea. Go get Kairi."

Riku ran off, and Sora rushed to find his other friend, Kairi. She had short red hair, and blue eyes.

"What's this about?" She asked him.

"I don't know." Sora responded. They hurried back, and found Riku sitting on the Paopu tree, with three ice creams in hand.

"Sea salt?" Kairi guessed.

"Yep." He handed them each an ice cream, and they sat and watched the sunset.

"Have you heard about Master Yen Sid's new student?" asked Sora, "she's trying to learn to wield a Keyblade." 

"I could help teach her." said the silver-haired boy.

Sora stifled a laugh.

"Hey, it's not that!" Riku objected. We don't even know if it's girl. I just want to do a good deed, that's all. And we've never even seen them. It's probably just some guy."

They finished the rest of their ice cream in silence, then went to bed, where Riku tossed and turned.

"You don't have what it takes to save Kairi. it's up to me."

"It is I, Ansem, the Seeker of Darkness!"

"We can't let fear stop us. I'm not afraid of the darkness!"

"No!" Riku gasped, and sat up.

"It's just a dream." He whispered. His hands were shaking uncontrollably, and he was in a cold sweat, heart pounding in his ears. Riku took a slow, shaky breath. 

"Just a dream." He repeated. "I'm not like that now." The sun was rising over the horizon, and he figured there was no going back to sleep now, not after that.

One of the last dreams had involved Riku driving the Keyblade of Heart into Sora's chest. He extended a shaking arm, and summoned his Keyblade, exhaling with relief.

"I'm a part of the light now. This is proof of that. I walk the road to dawn." Riku got up out of bed, went to the kitchen to splash cold water on his face, and went outside to sit on the steps of his front porch.

"Hey, stranger." Said an unfamiliar voice. "I thought I was the only one that got up at this hour."

"I, uh... had a nightmare." he mumbled, "And I know it sound weird... but they're really bad."

A girl jumped out of a nearby tree, startling Riku. She had dark brown hair, and sparking ice blue eyes, and was wearing a plain yellow t-shirt and jean shorts. "It's not weird." she said to him, "in fact, if you need someone to talk to about it..." 

"I guess I could use a friend right about now."

They sat on the docks, and he told her about the terrifying nightmares. By then, the sun was up, and Sora and Kairi were running outside.

"Gotta go." Said Riku.

"Bye!" she said, running off, "and if you ever need another ranting session, I'm your girl!" 

"Thanks!" Riku ran off to meet his friends, in a significantly brighter mood then he had been in when he woke up several hours before.