1 - "Luke. Luke Hemmings"

Jacey's POV

"It's family night, guys. Jacob, put on a shirt and Jacey, turn your phone off!" I only halfway hear my mother's annoying nagging as she wipes down the last of the dishes. After 17 years, I've learned to tune her out completely. As my 13 year old brother pulls a band t-shirt over his blonde head, he jumps on my mom's side.

"Yeah, Jace, stop trying to get Ashton to call you back! Its movie night, and we are not watching "'Jacey's Adventure of Trying to Make Her Ex Come Back: A Thrilling, 6 Month Saga,'" he smirks as he makes yet another joke. My mom shoots him the warning look, telling him to lay off. Although it still stings to hear Ashton's name, all I do is roll my eyes.

As Jacob rambles on about God knows what, I ignored my mom's command and continued to type out a "send help" message to my best friend, Mindy. She knows all about my family's "movie nights", as she was included in three of them because she is technically another member in my household.

"Jacey Green, I told you to put the phone away!" my mother began, but Jacob chimed in before she could say more.

"Wouldn't Ashton have blocked your number by now? Why are you trying so hard?" he asked. Did he seriously think I was still trying to contact Ashton?

"Oh my God, Jake, I don't know what he's done with my number nor do I care. If you must know, I blocked his number three months ago. I haven't even considered calling him since then," I retorted. This wasn't completely true, I think about calling Ashton every day, but I truly don't know what I would say to him.

"That can't be true! Every time you're on the phone with Mindy all you talk about is 'Ashton, Ashton, Ashton,' and you wake up screaming his name in the middle of the night at least twice a week. It's pathetic, how crazy you are for him,"

My mother finally stepped in by slamming her hand on the table in front of him. "Jacob please! How many times do I have to tell you to leave that in the past? Just give your sister a break, please,"

He mumbled an apology and we sat in silence for about 3 minutes.

Finally, with my head down, I whispered, "Can we keep his name out of this house?"

-

I sighed as I checked my phone after getting out of the shower. Four missed calls and nineteen texts, all from Mindy. I quickly called her back, eager to hear what she so desperately needed me for. I expected a chirpy greeting when I heard her pick up, but instead I heard her sniffle.

"J-Jace?" she whispered softly. It was evident that she had been sobbing.

"Mindy, hey, what's wrong?" I am by far the worst at confronting people who are upset.

"It's Calum," she began, and I anxiously waited for her to continue. "He cheated on me,"

Three Days Later (Friday Night)

Luke's POV

I remember that day clearly. It was beautiful; like her. Not the artificial beauty, but the kind of beauty that leaves you questioning the importance of anything else. She came into my life at a very crucial time, when I needed her most. Being in the same room as her had the same effect on a person as the sun. She was radiant enough to bring out the best in the worst people. She brought out the best in me, and that's doing a lot.

Other than the loud music ringing in my ears, the only thing I could hear was the voice in my head asking why I'm here. I knew I should've turned around and left, but I felt the impulse to stay for just a little while. No one wanted me to be there, but they wouldn't notice if I showed up or not. Still, I reluctantly pushed my way through the familiar faces, trying to locate the one guy there who knew my name.