pathetic

the only thing i could seem to feel, as i got ready for the iceland game, were my clammy hands as i slipped on my pads.

i knew we weren't ready, and though i knew loss was imminent, that wouldn't make it any less embarrassing, nor would i calm my nerves.

i slipped on my pads, preparing for the iceland game, as guy turned to me,"you nervous?"

i chuckled lightly, grabbing my jersey,"always."

"you should be." he replied, causing me to laugh.

"thanks guy, you're just the guy to turn to during a crisis," i replied sarcastically,"glad to call you my best friend."

he simply winked at me as he slipped on his shoulder pads.

i shook my head, letting out a shaky breath. we hadn't trained since minnesota, there was no way we were on the same level as the icelandic players.

coach burst in the doors in a monkey suit and his hair slicked back causing us all to laugh. he looked like a carbon copy of wolfe stansson.

"oh, dear god." i muttered and continued getting ready.

"hey, nice jacket," averman exclaimed,"did you get two pairs of pants with that?"

dean walked over to me, telling me it was time for confrontation. we had decided last night to say a few cryptic words to coach, letting him know what we know.

we walked to where he stood at his desk, dean and i standing, while fulton took a seat on top as asked,"have a good night last night, coach?"

he shrugged, looking down at his playbook, "yeah, it was fine."

dean nodded,"what'd you do?"

his eyes shifted between the three of us, still choosing to lie,"oh, you know, watched some tv and got to bed early."

dean smiled, starting to walk away,"but not without a little dessert right?"

i nodded, staring him down,"maybe some ice cream?"

with those few words, we all went back to our places, to finish getting ready. he had to have known what we meant, seeing as how he stared at us nervously moments after the conversation had ended.

averman continued to berate him,"nice haircut, did you lose a bet?"

i laughed, reverting back to my lighthearted nature. charlie walked over to me, offering a few kind words,"i can tell you're freaking out."

i eyed him for a moment, nodding slowly, "yeah..."

i think we were both on the same page, in terms of accepting defeat, but that didn't mean he wasn't still going to try to be the inspiring and confident boy that i had developed feelings for all those years ago,"you're amazing, dan. don't sweat it, alright?"

i smiled lightly, deciding it would be easiest just to thank him, as oppose to letting out my nervous rambles,"thank you, charlie."

he nodded and walked back to his station, engaging in conversation with whoever was closest to him.

once we were all ready, we walked out of the locker room.

we got onto the ice and warmed up, which didn't take too long.

i skated over to averman and goldberg, who were holding a fake interview.

"live from los angeles, welcome to the junior goodwill games," averman said into his hockey stick, with his best announcer voice,"tonight team usa goes against the team from iceland. with us, is greg goldberg and danica chen, the hockey player, turned broadway star, turned hockey player," i chuckled at his wording, before letting him continue,"what do you guys think it'll take to beat the nasty team iceland?"