invitation

under normal circumstances, when i got home after hockey practice, i would go shower and then head back out to the broadway stage.

but today was a very special and particular day. a day where my normal routine would be interrupted, as i got some of the best news of my life.

i set my stick against the wall, dropping my skates in their rightful place, as i walked through to my living room.

and, as i did everyday, i yelled for my dad,"dad, i'm home, it's not a murderer!"

"that's what a murderer would say!" he yelled back, causing me to smile in amusement.

i jumped onto my couch, feeling completely exhausted from practice,"how was your day?"

he gave me an awkward look, gesturing to the man who was sitting across from me on a chair.

i raised my eyebrows, sitting up immediately, not realizing we had company.

"oh, sorry," i smiled apologetically, jutting my hand out to the man,"i'm danica chen, i'm his daughter."

the older man with elfish features smiled,"i know who you are. i'm actually here to talk to you."

i knit my eyebrows, wondering what this could be about. my dad was my agent, so i didn't need one of those. and i couldn't think of anything else i could offer this man.

"okay, well...go ahead." i answered, eyeing him with confusion.

"i'll keep things short," he started, which i thought was a weird way to introduce his speech, but i didn't stop him as he continued, "i'm don tibbles and the corporation i work for, hendrix hockey apparel, has become the official sponsor of team usa at the junior goodwill games."

i nodded slowly, only kind of following,"uh huh."

"and the coach we have chosen for our team is gordon bombay," he informed, causing me to smile brightly,"and he wants you on the team."

"me?" i questioned, unaware that bombay had even remembered me,"why me?"

tibbles shrugged, not having an exact answer me,"he's pulling together a bunch of old ducks, along with some new people. you made the cut."

i glanced at my dad, knowing that i still had my commitment to matilda: the musical.

i had originally moved to new york, to accept the role of mary lennox in the secret garden, but a year ago, i left to become matilda in matilda: the musical.

"i mean, i'd love to," i answered, giving him a weary glance,"i just don't know if i'm allowed to leave matilda."

my dad shook his head,"no, we would have to give them some notice, but you've been there for over a year, you could definitely choose to leave."

i looked between tibbles and my father, wondering if i was actually going to do this. it seemed kind of crazy and impulsive, but there's almost nothing i wouldn't give to see my old ducks.

"so...can i do this?" i asked, still not sure this was a real situation.

"if that's what you want." dad answered, though he didn't seem overly excited for me.

i pressed my lips together, trying to make a rational decision. it was really sudden, and while i had a history of being impulsive (see: moving to new york to be on broadway within a week of winning a hockey championship), i really wanted to make sure i was making the right choice.

i knew what was the most sensible option, the option that would bring in the most money, but i also knew that i'm only a kid, and there will be plenty more opportunities to make money.