CHAPTER 16

CHRISTIE'S P.O.V

One week went by, and my life felt more... boring. Matthew was no longer acknowledging me, which was good, but I missed him so much and it was hard. Other aspects, we had an award show, where students were presented awards for their work in specific subjects. Sara had got a huge award for her work in maths, as she was the 'best student in mathematics'. I won the 'best English student'. Not the nationality, but subject, obviously. Other people got awards too, such as Melissa getting the 'best R.S student'. So that was good.

On last week of school, it was more quiet than ever. So during break, I took sometime to myself and decided to sit by the benches and... think. That's what a lot of people do nowadays, right? With my arms gently resting on the frills at the bottom of my turquoise dress, I thought about who I was. A happy girl with several best friends: Alice, Sara, Lora, Melissa, Wayne-

Hang on a minute. Wayne. Crap! I'd been too busy with Matthew and Daniel and Alice, that I forgot about Wayne. What sort of friend am I? I'm supposed to be his best friend, but I'm not really acting like it.

Feeling really bad, I started walking to where I thought Wayne would be. The football yard. I know he's not a massive football fan, but he's usually there. Well... was usually there. I scanned the yard, yet the brown haired, freckled boy was nowhere in sight. Where was he? Was the only thought that ran through my head.

And it clearly was the only thought, as I didn't even realise that the football bounced off my head. When I heard the noise of laughter, I snapped out of thought and saw the ball in front of me. I kicked it and surprisingly it landed right by the girls by the swings. The boys stood there, jaw dropped, except Elliott, who jogged up to me.

"Hey, Christie, you okay?" he asked, staring at a red mark on my forehead, which was from the ball. "The ball hit you quite hard. You may want to see a-"

"Have you seen Wayne?" I cut him off. My eyes were still wondering around the yard, hoping that he Wayne was there, and that I missed his head when searching before.

"Um..." he scratched the hair at the nape of his neck. "No, he hasn't been round here for a while. Did you try inside? He could be reading his comics..." Elliott was still thinking, but I could not wait. Without even thanking him, I rushed to the library.

When I pushed the door open, it was really quiet. The librarian was doing some work at her desk, so I could only really hear her pen moving. The tables and computers were deserted, with no one else in sight. I would've gave up, but there were parts of the library that weren't visible from where I stood. Quickly, I walked towards the the librarian's desk and waited for her to finish her work. When she did, she looked up joyfully through her glasses.

"Oh, hello Christiana! How can I help you?" Her voice was chirping with happiness and rainbows and unicorns. How annoyingly sweet.

"Hey miss, has anyone came in the library?" I asked, my fingers were nervously tapping her table. She opened her mouth, about to speak, but her gaze switched and focused on my tapping fingers. I stopped tapping and apologised.

"Well, not that I'm aware of," I was about to walk out. "But, there are the odd few people who walk in without a sound, so I don't really know. Have a check in the rooms."

I looked in the private study rooms, only to be even more disappointed. Where was he? But just before I was going to give up, I saw a shadow lurking in the corner of the room, I walked towards and was relieved to find William. Well... what was left of him.

His light brown hair was dyed to a more darker brown, almost black. Then my eyes went below his head and what I saw blew me away. Before, Wayne didn't used to have a lot of meat on him as he was quite skinny and he looked geeky. But when I saw him reading, he had a more lean frame. His muscles flexed as he flicked a page and the black top that he was wearing clung to his torso and he had a six pack. A freaking six pack.