The Battle For Felden

Start from the beginning

They enter and see a few people scattered around the area.

' Yes? Can I help you with something?'

They both look at Nitsuke, who is writing in a book.

' We’re looking for the Shadow,' Niika tells her.

She becomes a bit more interested and looks up. ' Oh, yes, the Shadow.'

' You know him?' Lucan asks.

' Locals made up the name. Very illusive figure… what do you want with the Shadow?'

' We were sent here by a friend. We’re trying to help Felden,' Niika tells her.

' So is the Shadow. Unfortunately, no one is to learn of his identity.' Nitsuke sets the book down, gets up, and walks to a window.

' He must remain anonymous, or the Nether would destroy the resistance. He needs to be someone with connections, someone who is neutral.'

Nitsuke turns around to face them.

' He’d need to be untouchable.'

She waits for a moment, but Niika and Lucan say nothing, waiting for her to continue. Nitsuke tries to drop more hints.

' Someone who nobody would expect…'

Lucan and Niika look at each other, not getting her drift.

' …maybe the Shadow isn’t even a “he”…'

They still don’t get it. Nitsuke starts getting a bit impatient and drops more obvious hints.

' Maybe she’s a Chronicler…'

Lucan raises an eyebrow.

' I’m a Chronicler.'

' You’re the Shadow?' Niika finally gets it.

Nitsuke is a bit alarmed. ' Hey ssh ssh ssh! My name is Nitsuke, I’m a Chronicler of Northwind.'

Lucan realizes this is the Chronicler he was supposed to escort many months ago. ' Ohhh…'

' Who are you two?' Nitsuke asks them.

' I’m Niika, this is-'

' I’m Lucan… I was supposed to be your escort… many months ago.'

Nitsuke raises her eyebrows. ' I remember that− figured you were already killed… or worse. Don’t worry though, I’m still here, right?

' I thought it was forbidden for Chroniclers to be involved?' Niika asks curiously.

' You’re correct… we’re not allowed to fight or take sides. However… nowhere does it say I’m not allowed to provide you with a list of names.'

' Which names…?' Niika raises an eyebrow.

' Names of people in this city who would be useful to a rebellion. And if you were to recruit these people, I would remain neutral, and compliment your good work.'

' We’ll do it,' Lucan steps forward.
' Show us where to go.

~*~

Marcus enters a bakery and turns to the baker. ' My usual order, please.

' Sorry, Marcus, we’re out of stock for today.'

' Out? How can they be out?'

' Skorch is tightening our rations- something about a shadow organization.'

' Well where can I find some food? I’m starving…'

' You can take a slice of mine.'

Marcus turns to the side and sees Lucan holding out a cake.