chapter thirty three

Start from the beginning

-

Natalie sat in between Justin's legs on his bed as they scrolled through her instagram page together. They didn't like to listen in on Clay and Ani's conversation, all they heard was them talk about robots but they did seem to be getting very close.

"Do you think we should leave? I think they may need a room soon." Natalie chuckled up at Justin.

"Clay? Yeah, right. I don't even know what they are talking about." Justin smiled down at his girlfriend as Lainey entered the room causing Natalie to jump to the other side of the bed so Lainey wouldn't get onto them about being too affectionate.

Ani started to introduce herself to Lainey and Natalie quickly entered the conversation. "Hey Mrs. Jensen, if Ani and Clay date, will I still be your favorite daughter?"

"Only if you stop calling me Mrs. Jensen, Natalie." The blonde smiled causing her to chuckle. It was always an inside joke between Justin and Natalie that Ani and Clay would get together but she didn't ever really think about it.

-

Natalie made her way to school towards the middle of the day which had become a trend since her brother had passed. She saw Jess at her locker and made her way quickly towards her.

"Justin and Clay are with the police." Natalie said quickly, causing Jess to close her locker. "They found the security footage from my old house when Clay showed up with a gun."

"What? Are you serious? Shit." Jessica shook her head as she leaned against the locker.

"Look, I know we're all team Ani and never really suspected how we told her every illegal thing we've ever done and just trusted her but she's really starting to get to the top of my list." Natalie took a deep breath.

"I mean, she did start asking about the tapes and Hannah and Clay." Jess looked at the ground as Natalie saw Ani approach.

"I have to go." Natalie says quickly as she made her way to the end of the hallway, trying to get a hold of Justin again from the station.

"Just got picked up. Going home. Call you later." Natalie read the message from Justin and walked towards her next class.

-

"Here's our apology, Nat. Dad left me a watch and you some expensive necklace on the counter." Bryce said as she entered the kitchen.

"Wow. So sweet of him. No note or anything." Natalie rolled her eyes as she continued to still put the necklace on.

"Hey can I ask you something?" Bryce raises an eyebrow as Natalie turned around and nodded her head. "Are Ani and Clay Jensen a thing?"

"Um, I don't know." Natalie shrugged. "They're friends, they're pretty close. Why?"

"Just wondering. Gotta keep up with the Liberty gossip." Bryce shook his head and went back to reading his newspaper. Natalie shrugged it off as nothing.

-

Ani walked up to Natalie's locker and as the girl noticed, she slammed it quickly to walk away. "Natalie, wait up."