10 Knight in Shining Armor

Start from the beginning

"Keep my body lowered"

                                          "Right!"

"As I'm moving forward" you start to mess up.

"Concentrate! Don't you want him to live?!"

You hesitate a little bit. "Right foot, left foot."

"Yes, but put your whole body into it!" She exclaims, putting her sword down.

"Everything you have, everything you are, you've got to give on the battlefield." she circles you.

"When everything is chaos, and you have nothing but the way you feel. Your strategy and a sword." she flashbacks to the war she was in protecting Varian's mom.

"You just think about the life you'll have, together after the war!" Varian raises an eyebrow. "And then you do it for her. That's how you know you can win. You do it for her, that is to say, you'll do it for him."

You were now on the obstacle course.

"Deep down you know, you weren't built for fighting. But that doesn't mean you're not prepared to try!"

You run through it dodging the obstacles.

"What they don't know is your real advantage. When you live for someone, you're prepared to DIE!"

Varian's jaw dropped and eyes widened in shock.
You just nod, continuing the courses.

"Deep down I know, that I'm just a human."

                                                "True"

"But I (you) know that I (you) can draw my (your) sword and fight!"

"With my short existence,"

                                             "Good!"

"I can make a difference."

"Yes, excellent!"

You smiled.
"I can be there for him, I can be his knight!"

You were now doing sets of push ups.

"I can do it for him!"

            "You do it for her!"

                 "Okay now do that again"

"Yes ma'am!"
You do another set of push ups.

"You do it for her and now you say-"

"-I'll do it for him," you pant.

"Great job today! I can confidently say, you're ready to do it for him," your mom says with a proud look.

You smile. "That's what I was made for right?"

Your mother nods. "You still have an hour before the king officially grants you the title, so go hang out with Varian."

You nod and run up to the boy. "Wasn't that awesome?!" you exclaim. Varian looks pretty worried but keeps his mouth shut. You're confused. "Was that...not awesome?"

"'When you live for someone you're prepared to die?!' What is that supposed to mean?!" Varian cries.

You raise an eyebrow at him. "Are you serious? Being the royal guard isn't just protecting you from robbers and getting you from point A to point B. Being the royal guard is protecting you at all costs, even if that means I'll die in the process."

Varian took your hands. "If that's the case, why does it have to be you?"

"C'mon V, you should know this. My great grandfather was the king's guard, my grandfather was the princess's guard, my mother was your mother's guard, and now it's my turn to be your guard. The only reason my mom adopted me was for you! Don't you see? This is my destiny! The one time my mom let her guard down, your mom ended up...not making it. She doesn't want me to make that same mistake, so the last thing I worry about is my safety."

Varian looked at the ground.

"V, you have to understand, you're going to have a wife and children one day. I need to be the one to protect them."

The boy looked like he wanted to say something after you said "wife" but just nodded his head. "Can we change the subject actually?" Varian asked quietly.

"As you wish."

A/n: This was just a little oneshot I came up with a few days ago, hopefully you enjoyed it!

Until next time

-Clementine