26 Skin Deep

A/n: This is an AU from the Uglies franchise. Here's a rundown: It is set in a future post scarcity dystopian world in which everyone is considered an "ugly," but then turned "Pretty" by extreme cosmetic surgery when they reach the age of 16. They move to another side of the town where Pretties live but there's a darker side to it. They put something in your brain during the surgery that makes you almost dumb, but not entirely.

There's a government called the "Specials" which nobody knows about, they're just known as rumors to the normal people.

OKAY ON WITH THE ONESHOT!
***

Pure chaos, everywhere. There were so many flying cars that you could barely see the sky. You looked around the small community, no wonder why there were Uglies going missing...they were running away before surgery. Of course they were!

You couldn't blame them, but this, this was your job. You were a Special, you had to take them back for surgery. This was life now, whether they liked it or not. You moved swiftly through the air, your movements sharp and abnormally fast, your vision clear.

You saw a runaway hiding behind a wood house ducking in high grass. If you weren't a Special, you most likely wouldn't have seen him. You kept up speed, running towards him and with a smooth move, pinned him down. "We don't want to hurt you, but we will if we have t..." you stopped.

This wasn't an Ugly runaway...no, this was a pretty runway. And he wasn't a stranger to you at all, you had been good friends before you became a Special and disappeared. "Y-Y/n?" The Pretty boy asked half scared, "Is that you?" You kept the boy pinned down, "Varian," you responded with a straight face, "you're...cured."

He looked anywhere but your eyes, "You look really different. You look-" "Wicked, a wicked pretty," you cut him off, still emotionless. "Special," he corrected you finally making eye contact. "Nice joke, but this isn't a game Varian."

"Come on, where'd that bright smile go?" The boy asked, "I was devastated when you left Y/n. I thought someone had stolen you or something, that you were dead in a ditch somewhere. Now that I know you're alive, you're a completely different person." Your piercing cold eyes softened a bit, "You've changed too. You were the one always telling me that I'm so bright and that I outshined you...but I guess the roles are reversed now. That's the point of life, to change."

Your ex friend didn't try to struggle at all, "Exactly Y/n! How do you expect us to change, if your society puts this thing in our heads to fog up our minds and keep us the same forever?" "That's just how it is Varian," you were getting mildly aggravated. "But it doesn't have to be like that! Join us, we're starting a revolution."

"No."

You looked up for a split second letting your guard down because you heard a loud noise. A few cars were chasing a blond girl who was escaping on a hoverboard.

Varian managed to get out of your grasp for a split second, but you quickly ran in front of him with your speed ability and kicked him it the knee. He cried out in pain falling to the ground and grasping his knee. "I told you, I don't want to hurt you b-" "Stop Y/n! You sound like a robot. You're...you're scaring me."

You gasped softly, but became emotionless once again. "That's a broken knee, you'll get it fixed once you get back home." "Stop," he cried, "Stop. What have they done to you?" "Made me better," you said sitting next to him. "I'm not acting like this because they did something to me, they didn't. I do this because it makes my job easier."

"What happened to 'together forever?' 'The inseparable 5' Hugo, Nuru, Yong, they're all cured." You furrowed your eyebrows, "Good for them, hope they liked it while it lasted because after this is over, you won't remember anything that happened. You'll go back to being a Pretty Pretty. It's better this way, look around you! Cutting down trees for houses and fires and eating animals?! That's disgusting, seriously."

Without another word, you put his injured body over your shoulders. What were the odds? You'd been watching over him ever since you disappeared, you tried convincing yourself not to get too attached since you'd never be able to see him again, but the damage was already done.

You tried your best to ignore his remarks and pleads, but that only broke your heart even more.

A broken heart can really change someone.

You placed him down with everyone else, tying up his hands. "Don't do this! You don't have to do this Y/n! Please I'm begging you." You stopped for a second not turning around, but then continued to walk away. You watched them from a distance. "Do you...know her?" One of the boys asked. He was blasian with some facial hair. "Y-yeah," he said hesitantly, "at least I used to."

Well that stung like a bee.
***

"Some of them escaped," one of the Specials said, "keep an eye on the bunch. While we handle the others" You nodded and paced back and fourth in front of them. By now Varian had given up and his new friends weren't saying anything. You sighed, you did feel bad for him, and he...was right. This was wrong, but there wasn't much you could do about it.

Or maybe there was.

You looked around making sure you were the only Special around. You then take the ropes and start snapping them with your hands. "Go as far as your legs will take you, I'll meet up. Oh, and don't forget to leave shoes for Tally, she'll be needing them."

As everyone ran without hesitation, Varian stood back, smiling at you. "I'm proud of you," he said quietly. "I know you are V," you smiled for the first time in 3 years. Varian was about to turn around, but you slightly grabbed his arm turning him back around. "Please promise me something," you asked seriously. "Anything." "Please, if I get caught and taken to get the Pretty surgery again and forget everything that happened after the age of 16, please please don't give up on me. Make me, how did we used to say it? Bubbly again, cured."

"It's not going to happen," Varian insisted. "If it were to though, I'd do anything for you."

He put his hand on your face caressing the Special tattoo everyone gets before leaning in and kissing you. "And if you do, I'll do that." Your eyes slightly widened, but you brushed it off like it was nothing.

"I better not regret this," you told yourself. "You wooon't," the boy responded. "And you're hurt," you said, picking V up. "This is...gonna be something."

A/n: Sorry this was probably really confusing to some of you because you haven't read the Uglies books, but I totally recommend them. THEYRE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING GOOD OMG

Anyways

Until next time

-Clementine