❤️ Vegetable Enchiladas ❤️

This easy recipe can be adapted for vegans. 

I cooked this last night for dinner and it tasted really nice. It serves four. I ended up making eight wraps and not enough chili and white sauce. There are five people in my family. If like me, you have a big family, you would need to make a larger quantity of chili and white sauce. 

I also served it with avocado, salsa sauce and tortilla crisps. You can make a guacamole to really add to that Mexican vibe.

It says prep time 10 mins and cook time 30 mins but I was in the kitchen for an hour. Probably because I'm a very slow grater because I am petrified of grating myself ahaha. 

Pack flavour into your meal with these easy vegetarian enchiladas that are filled with nutritious ingredients. This comforting, cheesy dish is the perfect crowd-pleasing family dinner

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil to use to fry the vegetables (I used sunflower oil and it worked fine)

2 onions, chopped

280g of carrots, grated. 

2-3 teaspoons of chili powder (mild or hot, according to your/your family's taste)

2 x 400g chopped tomatoes

2 x 400g pulses (I used red kidney beans and cannellini beans but you can choose what you use)

6 wholemeal tortillas (I used 8. It says to use small ones but any size will do)

200g low-fat natural yoghurt (or a vegan alternative)

50g extra mature cheddar (or a vegan alternative),  finely grated. (I added more cheese than the recommended amount because my family love cheese.)

Method:

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the onions and carrots for 5-8 mins until soft – add a splash of water if they start to stick. Sprinkle in the chilli powder and cook for 1 min more. Pour in the tomatoes and pulses and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from the heat and season well.

Heat grill to high. Spread a spoonful of the bean chilli over a large ovenproof dish. Lay each tortilla onto a board, fill with a few tbsp of chilli mixture, fold over the ends and roll up to seal. Place them into the ovenproof dish. Spoon the remaining chilli on top.

Mix the yogurt and grated cheese together with some seasoning, and spoon over the enchiladas. Grill for a few mins until the top is golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.

Enjoy!

Please let me know if you made a vegan version of this,  if it worked for you and what vegan products you used. I'm vegetarian but I want to experiment with vegan food so any recommendations would be much appreciated!