Chapter Thirty-Two: First Meeting

En başından başla

"Coming, coming," she breaths out, opening the car door and step out into the chilly New York air. Quentin pulls away, back into the crowded streets. 

The pairing walks into the theater house together. Meeting them at the door, were a few people, all she didn't recognize. The first one was a short blonde with an earpiece lodged in her ear and an iPad in her hands. She for sure had a certain resting face, a scowl to show she means business. Penny has reason to believe she was the general manager that called her. The other two where also women. The one in the middle was a tall woman with dark skin, certainly curvy, with beautiful close to black curly hair. Some curls fall across her forehead in delicate bangs. She had to be older than Penelope and Daniel, but she still looked youthful. Lastly, the other woman was about Penny's height. She had straight black hair, a juxtaposition to the woman beside her, and soft fawn skin and hooded eyes. 

The woman in the middle steps forward, and holds out her hand. "Hello, I am Diane Shelly, the director of the show. I am so excited for you to join us. This," she reference to the blonde, "is the general manager, the one who called you this morning, Erika Jackson. And lastly, but certainly not least," she had a certain gleam in her eyes. "is my stage manager Yoora."

The Korean woman steps forwards and shakes the hands of Daniel and Penelope. 

Diane clasps her hands together, "How about we go back stage and talk?"

"Sounds great to me," Daniel speaks for the two of them. Penny keeps quiet. 

The five of them walk into the theater, past the pair of ticket booths. Down a maroon carpets, they walk into the belly of the beast. The seats were a pale teal with black plastic. There weren't too many seats down on the floor, but a mezzanine shadowed over them. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was enough. 

"So, the show is called Heartbreak," Yoora starts giving the background of the show. "Our mission is a diverse cast of woman. Most of the crew is woman. Now, the show is about strippers. Don't worry, you-"

"No way!" Daniel interrupts and Penny gasps. They both look at each other. "My sister, Addison, was just hired in the costume department."

"Small world," Diane smiles. 

"It really is," Yoora agrees. "So, you will not be stripping, no one will be. The main character is a waitress at the gentleman's club. The general gist of the show is that you kill those who hurt her friends at the club. You eventually fall in love with an undercover cop who arrest you."

"Wow," this is the first time she spoke. "Sounds like a good show."

"Yeah, the writers didn't a great job with it. I am so excited to see it on stage," Diane gushes. 

Everyone goes backstage, walking to a dress room with a table to discuss. 

"So, the purpose of this meeting is to sign the contract. The first show will take place December 23rd for our producers, sponsors and donors. Then after Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, the show will be open to the general public. Rehearsal starts on Monday and the hours are from nine a.m to seven p.m. Monday through Saturday. You might not have to come everyday, but you are the lead, so it is recommenced. You will have all Sunday's off. A week before the show, rehearsal will take place on stage, right here. The show times are Tuesday and Wednesday at seven, Thursday and Friday at eight, Saturday at two and eight, and Sunday at one and six. The theater is dark on Monday and you should arrive two hours beforehand to get ready." 

Penny was not prepared for the general manager, Erika, to spit out all of this information. Seeing her overwhelmed face, Erika, shows some compassion and says, "It will all be in the contract."

Penny didn't notice that under her iPad was a thick sheet of paper, outlining the conditions of being on the show. "I will let the two of you review it. Just come back to the stage and we will finish everything." Diane address, and leads her group of woman out of the room. 

Finally alone, Penny lets go a breath, "Oh my god, this is too much. Way too much."

She shoots out of the chair and starts pacing the room. Her breathing and heart rate increase. She is starting to feel slightly faint. 

"Sit down, Penny and take a second to breath." He grabs her by her arms and drags her back to a seat. Danny slowly rubs up and down, trying to calm her down. "It's okay. You can do this, because you are amazing."

She couldn't help but roll her eyes and scoff at his comment. 

"Let's just go over the contract together, you don't have to sign anything yet. I'll explain everything."

And that's what they did together. They went through all the details, and wrote in the margins her conditions. There was only one: having Thursday morning's free for her weekly therapy sessions. Penny wasn't that embarrassed to put that down. A lot of people in the performative business see a therapist. Once they were finished, Danny retrieved the woman. 

He mentioned the one condition, which the director agreed upon. 

"So, you ready to sign."

Penny, however, had to ask, "How long until I have to sign?" She needed time to think about it. She wasn't expecting so much from one audition that was done out of a favor. 

Shocked, and confused, Erika says, "Well, at least Sunday, but now would be best."

"I'm sorry, but I need a little more time to think. I-I am just a little overwhelmed right now. I need a night to sleep on it."

"Uh, sure," Diane said, hoping that there lead doesn't bail. She hands a business card over, "Call this number the minute you decide and we will sign the contract."

"Great, thanks," Penny grabs the card, stuffs it in her pocket, and walks away with Danny slightly behind her.