Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I climb over the fence on the bridge and look over.
My life will end here.

The wind howls through my wavy brown hair which was now filled with tangles. I keep hold of the fence, hands behind me. Grey clouds coat the darkened sky as I stare at it, examining each shape. I let go one hand.
"Jump" I whisper to myself. "Jump" My mind races with the bad memories. The bullies, the hurtful words they say. My dad, the bruises he left on my body. Everything I did to make myself look less "hideous" (as people in my school called me) never worked. Eating one meal a day - it just made me skinnier than I already was. I couldn't hold the pain anymore. I shuffle my foot forward. Then my other. And as I just begin to propel myself from the edge, I hear something.

"Don't jump, please." says someone.

I turn around, and I see a tall, blonde guy around my age standing there. He's wearing a black t-shirt saying "Nirvana" on it with a weirdly shaped smiley face on it and knee-cute black jeans with a red flannel tied around his waist. I also notice he has a lip ring. Quite cute. 'Shut up Sophie he is way out of your leauge' I think to myself.

"Who are you? Why should I listen to you?" I finally manage to say.
"Just don't jump. Your life is too important to waste. Come over the edge, please." he says.
"My life isnt important!" I say louder than I was supposed to, "Everyone HATES me!" I find myself crying now.
"Im calling the ambulance, please just come over." he says at me as he reaches into his pocket.
"No, don't!" I say, crying more now, "please don't, just..." He stares at me with his blue eyes as I put my hand back on the fence.
"I'll come over, j-just don't call anyone, ok?" He nods and reaches his hand to me. I slowly place my hand in his, and climb over the fence. To my surprise, he pulls me closer, and before I know it he is hugging me tightly.

"Thank you, for not jumping," he whispers as he lets go of me, "I'll drive you home."
"No, no. You've-you've done enough. Thank you though," I dry my tears with the sleeve of my dark grey cardigan and turn to walk back to, anywhere but my house. But he grabs my hand and turns me around.
"Please, you've went through enough today," he says, "I'll drive you home, I insist."
"No, no not my house, please." He raises his eyebrows at me. "Why not?"
"J-just dont, anywhere but there." I say with tears welling up in my eyes.
"Fine, umm, I'll drive you to my place." he says, tightening his grip on my hand.
"Umm, I uhh, ok..." I manage to stutter. "Im Sophie, by the way. Sophie Williams."

"Im Luke, Luke Hemmings" he smiles.