25

Chapter Twenty-five

After breakfast, Su Yuyang didn’t go back to his room to write like he usually did. As Ling Miao finished washing the dishes and emerged from the kitchen, Su Yuyang got up and blocked the way to the study. He looked Ling Miao over and said disdainfully: “Go and change. You’re going out with me later.”

“Where?” Ling Miao wondered if this was how expecting to be sold off felt like.

Looking at Ling Miao’s guarded expression, Su Yuyang couldn’t hold back a laugh: “What’re you worried about? Feng Ji’s cafė is reopening after renovations, and I’m gonna pay him a visit.”

Feng Ji?

The person who came to Ling Miao’s mind was no longer the main character of Demonic Song Defying Heaven, but the owner of the Heartfelt Words Coffee House.

Speaking of Feng Ji, the first thing to surface in Ling Miao’s mind was Feng Ji’s face—a face which was appealing overall, but with a chill between his brows that stopped people wanting to get closer.

And that Feng Ji was Su Yuyang’s ex-lover.

Ling Miao suddenly smiled. Su Yuyang was beside him, so he didn’t dare laugh too loudly and had to hold his laughter in. But Su Yuyang’s gaze was still on Ling Miao’s face and Ling Miao’s subtle shifts in expression couldn’t elude his eyes. Ling Miao’s smile could be described with an emoticon—XD.

Su Yuyang raised his hand to smack the back of Ling Miao’s head. “Your expression tells me your thoughts are running away again, and in a big way, at that.”

Su Yuyang’s slap was neither hard nor light, but it still brought a cry of pain: “Hey, Su Yuyang, that hurts! Also, take your paw off my head.”

Su Yuyang had controlled his strength very well and he knew the slap wouldn’t have hurt Ling Miao. But since Ling Miao said it hurt, Su Yuyang, of course, needed to show Ling Miao the true meaning of pain.

“Hey—Su Yuyang, you bastard!” Ling Miao lashed out at Su Yuyang as he clutched at the spot on his head where Su Yuyang had rapped him, hard.

Su Yuyang dusted off his hands and said, matter-of-factly: “If you have so much time to think about silly things, then think about your novel. Your book probably has no hope of getting popular, so I suggest you wrap it up early and start a new one.”

“If I wrap it up just like this, it would be a bad ending. I took an oath on my life: I will not become a eunuch and I will not end my books badly,” Ling Miao said righteously. “You, Great Shu, on the other hand, gave both Heavenly Domain and Demonic Song Defying Heaven terrible endings. This time… you’ll be continuing the trend?”

“They’re called bad endings? All the plot points were tied up, the main characters’ arcs were wrapped up. What’s bad about it?” Su Yuyang had an air of wanting to have it out with Ling Miao, who was frightened by Su Yuyang’s suddenly imposing manner. Ling Miao quickly changed the subject: “That… didn’t we want to go to Heartfelt Words? Let’s go.”

Su Yuyang knew very well that his previous two books had ended badly—the last ten or so chapters were pretty much just their outlines. Su Yuyang had no patience for bad endings, but he’d been unlucky both times: as Heavenly Domain and Demonic Song Defying Heaven were wrapping up some things had happened to Su Yuyang each time, affecting his mood, and he’d sunk into emotional mires. On the one hand, he had tried to use writing to lift himself out of the rut he was in, but on the other hand, his misery had made a mess of his writing, so both books had ended poorly.

“Ling Miao, you have pretty strong opinions on the endings of Heavenly Domain and Demonic Song Defying Heaven, yeah?” Su Yuyang said half-jokingly.