“But why!” Janice protested, she is now infuriated. Her mom was trying to calm her down, but she was zealous. She thought of David. She thought of him wanting him. Thinking of him . . . dying.

“We will just do some preparations but don’t worry, we will tell you if it’s done.” The nurse left, her lopsided smile blotting the pity she felt for them.

The night seemed to be interminable for everyone. After a while, the nurse came back, saying that David’s room could take visitors but not all of them could accommodate the room. They decided that his parents would go first, since Matthew was out. Janice was beseeching his parents to let her come too but they forbid and told her that after them she could go.

Unbelievably, the time was running slow. It was indeed afflicting. Forty-five minutes had gone and Fredrick and Crissy Lykke didn’t come back yet. Waiting is the worst part on a crisis like this, and she have come to despise hospitals for this very reason. Nothing is happening, yet the mind swirls with ever darkening images, subconsciously preparing for the worst. Which is dreadful beyond measure.

“It must’ve been painful for them.” Jane Kennedy muttered. She pictured herself on their position; her Janice, lying lifeless on that horrible room. It’ll cost her crazy, if that fate ever happened. She is now verily thankful that Janice is safe, and she kissed her on her forehead.

“Oh sweetie, Janice I’m glad you are safe.” She said to her daughter, she concealed her tears. By then, the couples come entering to Janice’s room. Frederick was ushering her hysterically sobbing wife on the couch far from Janice’s bed.

“Christ, Jane, she looked more awful than his first operation. Doctor Markham said he survived but he is still not safe. We still might lose him. Jane I can’t . . .” Crissy cried as Jane approached her. A wave of sympathy rolled into Jane, she was a mother too and that kind of setting was bullshit.

“It is going to be hard. But trust me, everything happened for a reason. If that will happen, David won’t be glad leaving our side, if we will be doomed. We need him, and he needs us too. Crissy, there is always hope.” Optimism seemed irrational. And hope seemed far. Faith seemed to glow far beyond the tunnel of darkness.

Janice heard there conversation. Her body became jelly when she heard that David is still on possible risk. Like his parents, she wasn’t sure of how to do if David ended up dying.

Everything happened for a reason, said her mom. But whatsoever she wished she know the reason.

Frederick caught her eyes. Frederick and Matthew both have deep blue eyes, and it reminded her of David’s enticing gray-blue eyes. Enticing as Janice had pictured. “Janice, you could go on there now.” Her body trembled. Her early determination seemed to hide from the back of her heart. The courage in her face was nowhere to be seen now.

She made a half nod, but she didn’t know if it was the right time to visit David. Her body quivered. From what she heard, she might faint on what‘s waiting there. Matthew Lykke entered; he was holding two boxes of pizza. He had on a smile, but it was still an unhappy smile.

“I heard the news, Janice would you come with me? Let’s visit him together. Or you want a solo time with him?” Matthew proffered, there were sparks in his eyes. This sparks tend to be tears sooner or later.

Janice stood on her bed, made a gusty sigh and followed him out. Her legs flexed a trembling stance. They were walking on the lobby now, there are the constant thoughts that David might slip away. She was perspiring when they are at the door, and several electric doors began opening. The fear was suffocating and overwhelming; the sterility of the room struck her as surreal. Janice forced herself back to reality. For a minute she had been thinking about his beloved’s death and everything similar to it. But she knows that seeing him alive is more important and requires attention.