Prologue

Prologue

It was just a sunny, warm June afternoon. I skipped around the house humming quietly to the Elmo theme song in the background.

I froze when I heard it, stopped directly in front of the front door. The windows began to rattle and the chandelier swung lightly in the foyer. My 5-year old, chubby fingers gripped the arm of my teddy bear tight. Strong, calloused hands belonging to my father picked me up and he started shouting at my mother. Shouting at her to find a knife or a gun. Protection.

The rattling had spread through the whole house by that point. A gun was stuffed into my mother's apron pocket and she took me from my father. Practically sprinting the closet on the backside of the staircase, and burrowed us deep within, setting me on her lap. My father followed behind quickly behind us, making sure we weren't noticeable to the bare eye.

He whispered into my mother's ear, and she shook her head in curt, shaking nods after every sentence. He pulled away and kissed her cheek. Bringing his head level with mine he spoke, "I love you baby girl, I need you to be safe okay? I'll be back soon."

Moments later the house filled with the sounds of windows shattering. My father hurried out the door, shutting it behind him. My mother began to pray ever so quietly, rocking us slightly. The noise was profound, so loud that I couldn't think. Then the gunshots sounded. 1. 2. 3.

Silence followed behind, though the shots still rung in my ears. Sirens wailed in the distance, but they were too late. The damage was done, and the house was in disarray. My mum pulled us out of the closet together, me on her hip.

Police began their questioning. Bright flashes from pictures being taken blinded me. Areas were roped off. There was blood on the floor, smeared on the wood that my mother had installed a few months ago. I didn't cry, I only felt shock. Staring wide-eyed at the scene before me. My father was gone.