Chapter Twenty-Two - Caution

Start from the beginning

"Even from you?"

"We'll see."

Isaac leans his hands against his knees and looks up at me. Tilting his head back and forth repeatedly, he eventually talks. "I think it's a good idea. Especially the no complaints part," He smirks at me. "But you would have to take it up with all of the representatives. Why me?"

"I know Evelyn will back me but I need more support. Those meetings feel like a fight to the death." I shudder, remembering how Greg's eyes watch my every move.

"For you and Greg, maybe," Isaac hums before standing up. "I'll bring it up at the next meeting, thank you for suggesting it, Audrey."

I nod, smile at Isaac and then walk out of the room. I'm two steps out when Greg's body blocks my way. I look up in surprise but will my face to remain emotionless at his sudden appearance. After all, I technically have the advantage today. He made the call that we were going to be attacked and he was wrong. A success for me.

"Stealing my job, Audrey?" Greg asks in a low voice.

I shrug. "Somebody has to do it."

"I am."He growls.

"I meant, somebody has to do it well." I smirk, meeting his eye with full confidence.

He begins to open his mouth to make a rebuttal, but I scoff and walk around him, marching along the corridor with pride in my every step. Making Greg flustered may be my favorite thing to do.

The long, eventful night takes its toll on me after my encounter with Greg and instead of going into the canteen, like I planned, I make my way into my bedroom. Collapsing into bed, my mind finally rests after doing something useful. Sleep drags me under before I can mull over the events of last night.

I wake up in the late afternoon. Dragging my slightly exhausted body from bed, I walk into the canteen to find it bustling with movement. The familiarity of it makes me smile after the no-show attack. Fondness for the camp flares through me.

Getting a plate of food, I find Evelyn and Ruby in their usual seats. Sitting down, I start eating quickly without looking up. Once I'm nearly finished, I become aware of their eyes on me. Looking up with dread, Evelyn and Ruby sit with their arms crossed watching me. Great.

"Yes?" I question casually.

Both girls exchange a look before turning to me with smirks. I groan and take a drink of water, wanting to prolong the moment of peace before the inevitable bombardment of questions.

"Are you going to tell us how your night went with Leonardo or?" Evelyn questions, her eyes alight with curiosity.

I take a deep breath, trying to slow my pounding heart. Trying to disguise my words, I mumble my next sentence from behind my glass. "We kissed."

It does no good to disguise it, Ruby and Evelyn practically hurdle over the table to get to me. Grabbing my glass and slamming it down, Ruby looks at me with undeniable joy.

"Did you really? Was it amazing?"

"Yes," I mumble, looking at my lap. "To both."

I hate girl talk. Never been good at it. Why would I be when I've practically been constantly surrounded by men for the past eight years? Nevertheless, Ruby and Evelyn don't take notice of my discomfort and pepper me with never-ending questions.

"Describe it."

"Are you official?"

"Where is he now?"

"Did you talk after it?"

"Was it awkward."

I try to answer as best as I can, but my own reluctance causes me to answer many with a simple shake of the head, or a shrug of the shoulders. Ruby and Evelyn absorb every word and movement they can, their excitement palpable. I wasn't excited, I was merely intrigued. When they asked where we are going, I wonder about it myself. With my brows furrowed and my eyes trained on the table, I jump when a hand lands on my shoulder.