Chapter 10 || The Fam

Esther bustled around the kitchen busily as River took her seat at the table. 

Pots and pans clattered in their cabinets as the smell of bacon and eggs wafted in. Blade, Dante, Milo, Sirus, Dr. Ashe, and Fox were already seated at the table. 

They were all busy, either reading newspapers or sketching out plans.

Esther looked like she was reaching her mid 30s while the rest of the group seemed to be in the 20 range.

"Ooh, what's that?" River asked Dante, pointing towards the drawing he was making.

 "It's our plan for when we move you, he replied briskly. "Ah. I didn't know that it had to be so elaborate."

"Don't be silly. Your safety is our number one priority," he said, smiling slightly.

Esther bustled towards them, her apron tied loosely around her waist and her brown hair trailing behind her.

 She kind of reminded River of a busy mother.

"Here's your bacon and eggs," she shoved a large portion towards River. 

Her eyes widened. "That much?" It looked as if Esther had piled serving among serving on the plate. She frowned, hands on her hips.

"Well, don't waste time now. I don't want you looking underfed under this roof. Eat up," she stood near River like a hovering mother eagle. 

"Er-" She took a bite, and only until she had finished half the plate did Esther leave, although she still eyed River.

"Oh- oh no," said Aryan as he spilled his orange juice on the table. "Sorry, I'm totally clumsy," he smiled sheepishly and stole half a glance at River. "

Aryan, you know you shouldn't be putting your drink so close to the edge," Esther came forward with a cloth, sounding exasperated.

Meanwhile, Milo and Sirus were having a loud, raucous fight at the end of the table.

 Milo pushed Sirus and he retaliated, shoving him backwards. The table shook ominously.

"Milo, Sirus, no!" Esther yelled, looking like she was on the edge. "There are drinks on the table you two! With delicate and fine glass! If you two keep fighting, you're going to- ARGH!" She screamed.

For Sirus had kicked the table hard with his heel and the table shifted a good many inches, throwing many colorful drinks onto the ground and shattering the glass holding them.

"TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AS IF I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ENOUGH ABOUT COOKING YOU ALL BREAKFAST AND PUTTING AWAY DISHES AS WELL."

"NOW THIS GLASS IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE CLEANED AND YOU TWO WILL BE THE ONES CLEANING IT. YOU'D BETTER HOPE THAT THE DRINKS DON'T STAIN THE CARPET," she screamed.

"Sorry, Esther!" Sirus said hastily, picking up a cloth while Milo hurriedly did the same.

 "Yeah, sorry!" He echoed, although River thought she could detect a slight hint of laughter behind his words.

Esther stormed away, her large brown eyes still crackling with fury. River glanced nervously around, but the others seemed unfazed. 

Aryan shrugged and accidentally knocked over some utensils to the ground.

"Shoot," he cursed as he bent down to get them. River giggled. He wasn't lying- he really was clumsy.

"So this happens often, then?" She questioned him. Blade answered from the right side of her. "Yep, basically. Don't worry, she likes you the best, though," he added.

"Yeah, Blade, remember when she totally whooped you because you trampled through her garden?" Aryan said, accidentally knocking a napkin to the ground in the process.

"Only what you deserved," Esther said sharply as she re-entered the room amid fresh laughter. Blade scowled.

"Done already?" He asked Dr. Ashe as she got up, her flaming red hair flowing behind her.

"Yes," she replied. "I've got to get back to the lab. I have some very important things to test," she said with an air of smugness.

"You're always in the lab," Milo whined from the floor, still mopping the carpet with Sirus.

"Oh, yes indeed. I can foresee that staying at this breakfast for any longer may be hazardous," she pointed at the two troublemakers.

"Of course, it's not that I do not wish of your company!" She gave an abrupt laugh. 

"Lab work is hard work. It is not always fun and as I've mentioned, it is of extreme importance."

"What do you do?" River asked curiously.

"Nothing, nothing," she replied airily, brushing an impatient hand in the air. "Of course, it cannot wait, so..." She pushed her seat away from the table and walked away briskly.

"Dr. Ashe is very busy, isn't she?" River mused. "Yeah, but you can just call her Ashe," Aryan said.

"I think she wants all of us to call her "Dr. Ashe" because it sounds more professional. Of course, that's the reason why I don't," Milo grinned mischievously.

River glanced at Fox who alone had not said a single word during the entire exchange. She was tirelessly reading a magazine, her brown eyes now a blur.

Deciding she didn't want to disturb her, she turned back to Esther trying to get Blade to get a third serving in which he was trying to turn away profusely.

River felt a laugh bubble to her throat watching Esther now trying to force feed him like an overgrown baby.

She didn't know why, but she was starting to enjoy her stay with them.